❤︎ Chapter One

- 15 years later -

Far across the sea, in the highlands of Scotland, stood the castle of Clan DunBroch, home to King Fergus, his wife Queen Elinor, and his four sons; the eldest Meridus and the three young triplets; Harris, Hubert, and Hamish.

Yes, this story revolves around the prince of DunBroch. But there's also a story no one has told. A young girl whom helped changed the fate of the young lad, his family, and the entire kingdom. But lets not get ahead of ourselves now. This story starts with the young girl asleep in her cave in the woods.

♔♔♔

A soft groan escaped past pale pink lips as the sun peeked through the opening of the cave. A girl, blonde curly hair and blue eyed, laid on a pile of leaves and grass. The only bed she's known since she was little.

She slowly sat up, stretching her arms and legs. She glanced around the cave she called home. Letting out a soft sigh, she stood to her feet and grabbed the bow she had found. "Time to find some breakfast." She mumbled to herself.

She walked out of her cave, shielding her eyes from the bright sun. She walked towards the trees and headed towards the nearest river. It has been 15 years since she was left on her own, her parents killed by the demon bear Mor'du. She was little when it happened but she remembered it pretty well. It was traumatic for a little girl.

Blair reached the river, shifting her eyes left and right, trying to find a deer or rabbit. She didn't enjoy hunting animals but it was the only food she could get. Beggars can not be choosers.

A twig snapped on her left. She quickly turned and noticed a little rabbit hopping out of the bushes. She stepped back behind a tree, away from the creatures view. Slowly, she raised her bow pulling back the string with her arrow attached. She aimed at the small creature before letting the arrow shoot through the air.

The arrow struck its target, quick and painless. At a young age, her father had taught her to shoot a bow. She used those skills to help her survive out in the woods.

She gently grabbed the rabbit by its feet, she started to head back to her cave. "Thank you for the meal little rabbit." She said to herself with a frown. She hated having to hunt, but it was the only source of food.

♔♔♔

A young lad, crazy curly red hair, sat at a desk with his chin propped on his hand. He listened to his mother teach him the geography of their kingdom with boredom. He watched as his mother, using a pointer stick, point on a map hanging on the wall.

"A prince must be knowledgeable of his kingdom." Queen Elinor stated as she turned to her son, who was drawing on a sheet of paper. With an irritated sigh she snatched the paper from him. It was of a drawing of him shooting a bow and arrow. "And must NOT doodle!" She snapped sternly.

His mother had so many rules, so many rules on how a prince SHOULD be and act. The young lad couldn't have fun unless his father, King Fergus, was around.

"A prince-" his mother started as they exited the room and headed towards the dinning hall. "Should be compassionate, patient, cautious, clean..."

She went on and on but Meridus wasn't listening to her. His tummy rumbled with hunger as they entered the hall and sat at their places at the table.

The smell of chicken filled the room as Meridus licked his lips. "Eat up!" King Fergus chuckled as he stuffed chicken into his mouth.

Meridus tried to do the same but his mother shot him a glare. "A prince doesn't stuff his gob!" She spat before going back to her meal.

Meridus groaned as he took a decent sized bite of his chicken. He loved his mother, but sometimes she was just too strict. "Mother, Father-" he started as he wiped his mouth with a napkin. "May I take Angus out tomorrow morning? It is my birthday."

Nodding, his mother spoke. "Yes, you may. You'll be 18 tomorrow. But make sure you're back before dark."

Fergus chuckled as his wife. "Elinor! Let the boy have fun. He's becoming a man and he needs a break from your lessons."

Elinor rolled her eyes, ignoring her husbands words. Once everyone had finished dinner, they all made their way to their rooms for bed.

"Oh, remember Meridus-" his mother stopped the young lad before he entered his room. "And above all, a prince strives for, well perfection." She chuckled. She gave him a peck on the cheek before heading to her and her husbands room.

Meridus watched as his mother walked away with a frown. If only she would lighten up, maybe just a little.

♔♔♔

(A/N: sorry for the late update. I'll update as much as I can. Between work and my daughter it gets hectic. :) Thank you for reading.)