❤︎ Prologue

The leaves rustled and swished as a young girl ran through the dark forest, barely any light shining through the tall trees. Her heart beating out of fear and adrenaline. Blonde locks flew behind her as she ran as fast as her small legs could carry her.

A bear.

A big scary black bear.

She was just barely 5 years old at this time, but she knew what mummy meant when she screamed "Blair, RUN!"

The last thing the poor girl heard was her parents screams and cries as that bear ripped them apart. Tears stained her cheeks, her nose runny. Small branches whipped at her as she ran through bushes.

'Why? Why did the bear choose mummy and daddy?' She would think to herself as she ran.

"Oof!" The young girl squeaked as she tripped over a rock, falling face first into the ground. Dirt and scratches covered her face, arms, and legs. She was tired, too tired and weak to stand up and continue running. She's gone far enough away.

Her sobs echoed around her as she covered her face in her arms. "Mummy! Daddy!" She cried to herself.

♔♔♔

A young lad, giggling with joy as his father handed him a bow of his very own. It was his birthday and his parents, the king and queen of DunBroch, was celebrating with him.

"Go ahead Meridus, shoot your bow." His mother, queen Elinor said to him with glee.

The red headed boy nodded as he held the bow up, trying to aim at a tree. His father, king Fergus, gently grabbed his elbow and moved his arms just a tad up. "Aim high, never low."

Not wasting a moment, the young boy pulled back the string and quickly let go. The arrow went flying, past the tree he was aiming for. "Awww." He pouted cutely at his miss.

"Well, go get it!" Fergus chuckled at his son, watching as he ran into the trees.

"Where did it go?" He mumbled to himself as he walked around, eyeing the ground. His smile widened as he noticed his arrow had stuck into a tree. He giggled as he ran over and snatched it.

Stopping before he made his way back to his parents, he heard a little faint noise. His eyes widened in shock and awe as he saw a little blue wisp. "Will o' the wisp." He mumbled before giggling and trying to grab it. But he couldn't, it had disappeared. He noticed more as he began to follow them, still trying to grab ahold of one.

♔♔♔

Blair slowly sat up, rubbing at her tired and puffy red eyes. She sniffled softly, wiping the snot from under her nose. Letting out a tired sigh, she stood to her feet and dusted the dirt and leaves from her little pink dress.

A little faint noise, just as Meridus had heard, echoed behind her. She gasped in shock. Her mother had told her about those wisps. "How cute." A small sad smile appeared on her pale dirty face. "Shall you lead me to my fate?" She had asked the wisp.

She hesitated of course, but decided to follow them. One disappeared after another as she passed. Moments later, she heard a faint giggle coming from in front of her. She stopped in her tracks as she noticed a curly red headed boy who was also following the wisps.

Meridus glanced up from trying to grab the very last wisp, noticing a little girl only a few years younger then him. "Oh hello!" He smiled at her. "Were you trying to catch the wisps as well?"

Blair nodded, her blonde hair falling in front of her face. "Y-yes." Was all she said, a faint blush appearing on her cheeks. She was a shy one.

The two little ones stood in silence for just a minute until Meridus heard his mother yell for him. "Oh! That's my mum. I better get going." He giggled and gently took the young girls hand, kissing atop of it. "I hope to see you again-" he stopped, hoping she would tell him her name.

"Blair." She spoke softly as she gazed up at him, giving him a smile.

"Well I'm Meridus." He said, proud of his name. "I must go." He turned around and started heading back to his parents, not before giving a small wave to the girl.

Blair watched as he left, wishing she could go home with him. But she was afraid the big black bear would find her there and destroy his family as well.

A tear trailed down her cheek as she turned, heading deeper into the woods.

♔♔♔