February 4, 2018

Nessa, who'd been called, ran to the medical wing to see her husband.

As soon as Bucky saw her, he smiled. "How are you, Ness?"

She nodded. "I'm well. Much better. How are you?"

"Free."

"You are? Your words won't turn you anymore?"

"At least according to Shuri and Ayo."

Nessa hugged him tightly and Bucky ran a hand down her back as he said, "God, I've missed you."

She pulled away, still keeping her hands on his arms. "Perhaps we can try this for real now? No fear of HYDRA or the KGB?"

Bucky tucked her hair back. "It's been real to me the entire time, doll. I haven't always remembered it all, but it's been real to me this entire time."

"As it has to me." She looked into his eyes and smiled. "I love you, James."

"I love you too, Nessa."

The two intertwined their hands and Nessa took Bucky to her favorite spots around the island. Some where she could observe from afar and some where she could socialize, depending on how she felt in the moment.

As Bucky listened to her explain why those particular spots were her favorite, he found himself watching her. For the first time since they'd met, they had a chance to live life for themselves.

He hoped their love would grow far further than he could imagine. And maybe, just maybe, they could have a chance to raise a child.