June 2016

As Steve and Bucky were leaving, Bucky noticed an opened pod.

He rushed over to it and saw a woman lying on the ground. He checked her pulse, relieved to find one, which Steve found odd, and gently moved her hair from her face.

It was her.

The woman woke up with a gasp and started shuffling back with wide eyes. "Who are you? Where am I?!"

"It's okay," Bucky told her gently. "You're safe now."

She continued moving back. "I don't- I don't know where I am."

"You're in Siberia. My name is Bucky and the man in the suit is Steve." He slowly moved closer to her. "Ness, it's me."

She stared at him with a frown, slowly coming to a realization. "James?"

Steve looked between them with a confused expression. "Buck, you know her?"

He nodded. "She's my wife."

Nessa scrambled back as she looked at Steve with a wary expression.

Bucky said, "Ness, it's okay. This is Steve. He'll help you and me."

Steve nodded. "You can trust me, Nessa."

"But HYDRA," she said. "The KGB."

"HYDRA is gone. They fell two years ago. The KGB is no longer around. You're safe from them."

Nessa frowned as she asked hesitantly, "And... what of Natalia?"

"Natalia?" He frowned a moment as Zola's words from two years prior came to mind. "Natasha?"

Bucky tucked Nessa's hair back. "She's alive. She goes by Natasha now."

"Where is she?"

"I'm not sure. Probably on the run. She did betray the Accords by helping me and Steve. Ness, there's something you need to know."

Nessa tilted her head. "Yes?"

"She was trained in the Red Room like you. But she got the Graduation Ceremony."

Nessa gasped softly and blinked away her tears. "That was the one thing I never wanted for her."

"I know. I'm so sorry, Ness."

Steve glanced back. "We should be going."

Bucky nodded and held a hand out to Nessa. "You'll be safe, doll. I promise."

Nessa took his hand and he pulled her up.

The three boarded the Quinjet for a destination that one had offered for refuge and assist.

Only one knew where, and the other two prayed they would be safe from whatever came next.

WAKANDA, MEDICAL FACILITY

"You sure about this?" Steve asked.

"I can't trust my own mind," Bucky replied. "So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing... for everybody." He took Nessa's hand. "You're safe here. I promise."

Nessa nodded slowly and asked, "Will you wake again?"

"I hope so. And with luck, I won't have the words to trigger me. I'll see you soon, Ness. I love you."

Nessa smiled softly. "I love you too, James." She kissed him and Bucky closed his eyes for a moment.

Bucky went into cryo and closed his eyes. Steve stared at him with a sullen expression while Nessa blinked away tears.

---

Steve and Nessa stood staring through a window. T'Challa walked towards them.

"Thank you for this," Steve said.

"Your friend and my father, they were both victims," T'Challa reasoned. "If I can help one of them find peace..."

"You know, If they find out he's here... they'll come for him. They may come for Nessa as well."

"Let them try."

Nessa continued staring out the window. For the first time in all the years she could remember, she felt safe.

Safe. Such a simple, yet powerful word.

She smiled as she said, "James, you're my safety, my home. I'll wait for you as long as it takes." She turned to Steve. "Thank you for this. He's lucky to have a friend like you."

Steve returned her smile. "It seems he's lucky to have you as well. Call if you need anything, okay?"

"I will. Thank you."

"You're welcome." With another smile, Steve walked away.

Nessa turned back to the window, the smile never faltering.