Chapter 11

"Three...." Athena stuttered, "Three....did you say three million dollars?" She blew out her breath, trying to calm her nerves.

You heard him, three hundred and FIFTY million!!

Hush!

"No, I said three hundred and fifty million dollars. In assests, mostly stocks which can be sold quickly if needed. The property would take longer to sell, obviously."

"I'm sorry, this is beyond shocking. My mother knew about all this?" She frowned at him, overwhelmed by this news.

"Michelle only knew Susan left you money in a bank account. She was allowed to use it to support you."

"That's where the money for my car came from. And my classes, I wondered how mom finagled the money out of my dad."

"Now you know. We have a lot of stuff to sort through, it's going to take longer than a day or two. I've sent everyone home for the day and asked your grandparents to leave because the most important rule is no one is to know about your legacy. Your grandmother went to great lengths to protect this for you."

"Yes, I understand."

An hour later, she was absently looking at descriptions of commercial property she apparently owned. Most of it was leased out on long term contracts but there were a few empty lots. She frowned before her eyes lit up with excitement.

"Am I reading this correctly? This property is a partially built apartment complex?"

Benjamin pulled up the listing, "yes, Susan was in the middle of that project when she died. She didn't leave any direction so it's been sitting vacant."

"Can I live there?"

"I suppose you could with a lot of effort, I'm sure it's infested with insects, rodents and squatters by now. I haven't seen it in person, since the location is a few hours away. It probably needs a lot of repairs to be habitable, but you have the funds to fix it if you want."

Athena wanted to dance for joy, "yes! I want to fix it, it's perfect!"

"Perfect for what?"

"I can tell you things that you can't tell others, right?"

You can't tell him about us being werewolves!

Stop worrying, I wasn't going to.

"Absolutely, you are covered by client confidentiality."

"I need a place to live where about sixty others can live too."

"What are you doing with sixty people?"

"A special orphanage, one where it's secure from outsiders, with plenty of outside space to play in. The orphans are girls who have been abused, they need to feel safe."

Nice cover story!!!

"Well, this place would provide that, with the right improvements. A worthy endeavor if I may say so. Your grandmother would be proud."

"You knew her." It was more a statement than question.

"Yes, I worked with her for almost ten years, she was a remarkable woman."

Athena found herself wishing again that she had memories of her. She didn't have time to dwell on the past at the moment so she pushed those thoughts aside for another day. "How many apartments are finished and how much land is left?"