18 Candles

Justin’s POV

I took a big breath in and slowly woke up. I still hadn’t opened my eyes when I squeezed my arms, expecting to feel Blake still wrapped in them. Unfortunately, I felt softness and I opened my eyes to see that Blake’s body had been replaced with a pillow. I groaned out loud and picked my body off of the bed. I stretched out my body before slipping on some sweatpants and checking my phone, which was sitting on the bedside table.

March 1, 2012.

A smile rose on my face. I turn 18 today. It’s about time! I happily walked out of my room and downstairs. I figured Blake would be there; ready to wish me a happy birthday.

“Finally, you’re up!” Blake said when I rounded to corner into the kitchen. She, along with my mom, was fully dressed, sitting at the kitchen counter.

“Was there a reason I needed to be up early?” I asked, a knowing smile forming on my face. I knew something was coming, and I couldn’t wait to get my first birthday kiss of the day.

“No, we were just waiting for you to get up to tell you that we will be gone all day. Your mom thought it was the perfect day to have a girl’s day, and I couldn’t agree more!” Blake said and my mom nodded in agreement. My smile dropped. What?

“We are leaving now, don’t miss us too much!” my mom added while getting up from her stool, followed by Blake.

“Oh, and Scooter said you might have to go into the studio today to talk about picking a single or something, I don’t know.” Blake said as she walked towards the door with mom.

“Bye sweetie!” mom said as she closed the door behind them, leaving me in my sweatpants and a very confused face.

They forgot my birthday.

***

I was sitting on the couch, alone, eating leftover Chinese food from a few days ago. Not one person had called or texted me to wish me a happy 18th birthday. Of course, the fans remembered. Half of the trending topics on Twitter were about me. That’s all great and I love them for it, but seriously? None of my friends or family remembered my birthday? I don’t need any fancy gifts or anything, but a simple “Happy Birthday” would be nice.

Ironically, the second I turned on the TV, 16 Candles started playing on whatever channel I was watching. This entire movie was about how a girl’s family forgot her birthday. Welcome to my life.

My phone started ringing and I excitingly picked it up. It was just Scooter, but hey, maybe he remembered what day it was today.

“Hello?” I asked excitingly.

“Hey, you think you can come into the studio today? We have work to do!” he said. I rolled my eyes and groaned. He obviously forgot, along with every single other person that I knew.

“Yeah, it’s not like I have any other plans!” I replied sarcastically.

“Great, see you around 6.” Scooter said.

“Wait, 6?” I asked, confused about the late time.

“Uh, yeah. That’s the only time I am free.” He stuttered out.

“Ok, whatever. See you then.” I said before hanging up the phone and throwing it on the couch. It started ringing again the moment it hit the fabric.

“Hello?” I answered, pretty annoyed.

“Hey, it’s me again. I lied. Can you meet me at the Maggiano’s in LA?” Scooter said quickly on the other end of the phone.