No Work, All Play

Blake’s POV

I stood in the foyer by the door like a vegetable. I didn’t know how or even if I should answer the hurtful question from Pattie.

“Well don’t just stand there! We have to get you moved in.” Pattie said with a false excitement. “Almost forgot one thing. My name is Pattie. But I’m sure you don’t really care!” she said before walking off to whatever room she came from. I picked up my bag and followed Justin up the stairs. Justin didn’t say anything about his mother’s comment. He just put my bags in my room and then walked off to his room. He closed the door, leaving me alone with an empty room and an angry mom.

I couldn’t just leave the situation alone, so I dragged my stubborn body down the stairs to find where Pattie was. I finally found her in the kitchen, standing at the counter making a cup of tea.

“Oh, it’s just you.” she said coldly when she realized my presence.

“I was wondering if I could talk to you.” I asked.

“You can talk but no promises on whether or not I will listen.” She responded as she absent mincingly stirred her tea.

“I know you must think the worst of me. I can only imagine how I would feel if I were in your position. I understand that it is hard for you to come to terms with this whole situation. Believe me, it’s not something that is easy to accept. I would know. But please understand that I didn’t accept this job because I am using your son or for the fame. I accepted this job because I need it and I didn’t know that my decision would make you upset. That wasn’t my intention. I didn’t want to hurt anyone, so if you aren’t comfortable with this, I’ll quit. I just don’t want to hurt anyone.” I said before taking a big breath in. Pattie didn’t react right away. She just stood behind the counter looking at me.

After a while, I figured she wouldn’t be saying anything. I turned around, feeling defeated.

“Blake! I’m sorry. Let’s just start over.” Pattie said while walking towards me with open arms. I was immediately engulfed in a tight hug. She let go after a few more squeezes only to look me in the eyes and give me a questioning look.

“Um- yeah. Let’s start over.” I said sincerely. I didn’t want her hating me if I was living under her roof. I didn’t need any more people hating me.

“Do you want some tea?” Pattie asked. Before I could answer, my phone started ringing in my pants pocket.

“This is Scooter, so I should probably answer it.” I told Pattie before walking out of the kitchen and into the hallway. “Hey Scooter!”

“Blake, thank goodness you answered your phone. Justin isn’t answering and neither is Pattie.” A flustered Scooter said into the phone. “You and Justin need to get to the office so we can sign your contract.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize we were doing that today. I will get Justin and we will be right there.” I told him.

“Before I forget, the label is providing you with a car. It should have been delivered to Justin’s house already, so go look for it.” he said before saying a quick goodbye and hanging up.

“Justin and I need to head over to the office. Is that ok with you?” I asked Pattie. She nodded her head in response before telling me to go get Justin. I walked up the stairs to Justin’s room, or at least I think it was Justin’s room. There were way too many rooms in the house!

I knocked twice before speaking. “Justin, are you in there?”

“Come in!” he called from the other side of the door. I opened the door just as Justin was walking out of the bathroom. He had droplets of water cascading down his body. The only thing he had on was a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was wet and matted to his forehead. The wetness caused water to drip down his face, starting at his temples, then his cheek bones, and then finally reaching his jawline.