Chapter 1

Amanda stared from the car window, out into the snowy world outside. Her family had been driving for nearly 4 days now, as they hurried to reach their new home in Edmonton, Alberta. 

Slowly lifting her head from the window, Amanda turned to face her parents seated in the front. She then glanced beside herself with tired eyes, looking at her brother who was deeply invested in some kind of game. Rolling her eyes, she wondered how he could find the time to be so laid back and unworried. They were expected to start at a new school two weeks after they arrived at their new home, and Amanda was particularly concerned about the changeover. After all, she was starting the most difficult year of grade 12, in a new school, which was far from what she had wished for.

"How much longer?" She asked her father, as she managed to stifle a yawn.

He sighed. "We should be there by this evening, assuming the snow doesn't get any heavier. But it's already caused us some delays."

It wasn't exactly the answer she had hoped for, but it would have to do. Abruptly as she could, Amanda redirected her solemn gaze back to the whiteness of the passing snow. As light and delicate as it was at that moment, it was very tiring to be the only thing that was visible for hours on end. 

<><><>

As the journey continued, the snow thankfully didn't get any worse. 

On top of that, things had been quite silent and overly peaceful (which was what Amanda had hoped for). She wasn't hassled by anyone to answer silly questions that people often felt compelled to ask when there was nothing to be said. Thankfully the snow hadn't gotten any worse.

Robbie was staring out the window, wondering just how long he could survive without his phone which had lost power several hours ago. The scenery got more detailed as they got closer to the city of Alberta. Robbie was more excited than anyone, after hating his previous school in New Mexico. He'd never liked the teachers there. He found them impulsive and stuck up, which wasn't the easiest thing for a 15-year-old boy to deal with. 

It was getting very dark by the time they arrived in the suburb they were living in.

"It would've been nice to arrive at midday," their dad complained, "if only the weather had been better". He looked about the street they were in, looking for their house number.

"25, 25, 25..." he seemed to say to himself before asking the group. "Does anyone see number 25?"

They all looked up from their seats, staring out into the darkness.

"Surely you knew what the house looked like before you bought it," Amanda said with an annoyed voice. "Never mind where it is."

Before anyone could respond, They all heard Robbie call: "Hey guys, it's literally right in front of us. I can see 25 from here."

He motioned two houses across on their right.

There it was, all lit up by the headlights on the car as they drove into the driveway. 

Bringing the car to a stop, and turning the car off, their father turned to face everyone, a smile of relief and accomplishment on his face. "Welcome to Alberta," he exclaimed. "Our new home." The sense that they had finally arrived seemed to wash over them as they stared up at the huge house which was supposed to be their home. 

But little did they know the life-changing events that would take place not too long after their arrival. And although they had now arrived (leaving behind their much-loved home in New Mexico) nothing could prepare them for what was ahead.

___________________