⇨ 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫.

-No ash in this chap but fuck Nate fr😾❌-

I put everything into this chapter bcs, it's important y'all know that Vi hates Nate & Admires Maddy😻❗️

[𝗩𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗮𝗻'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩]

Before i knew it, Maddy's birthday was around the corner.

Despite the strange changes Cassie had undergone over the past few weeks, her indifference in terms of throwing Maddy's party in her own home was surprising.

Decorations had been set up just a few nights before with lots of back and forth due to Lexi's insistent desire for perfection. I couldn't exactly blame her, and if i had been honest, i also wished for this to be perfect for Maddy as well. Though, it was unclear whether Lexi had been uptight about organization when considering Maddy's happiness, or if she just strived for perfection in general.

And although Cassie hadn't had the best eye for interior design, and left most of the decorations tangled in Lexi's hands, she seemed content with helping. She seemed content when we both hung up the tinsel on the doorways. She even smiled fondly when showing me the photo album she had made for Maddy. But something was off.

There was a subtle crack in her voice when she pointed out each photo, examining each memory as if i hadn't been there to experience it.

It was almost as if Cassie was somehow mourning the friendship presented in the earlier photos, which i noticed had caused a reaction the most. I was quick to blame it on Cassie's tendency to be overly emotional, and an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, or love for her best friend. Afterwards, it was evident it had to have been something else.

Tucking those thoughts into my back pocket, Kat and Maddy had arrived shortly after Suze had set out a third of her alcohol collection onto the kitchen counter. She freely handed out drinks, advising against telling any parents, and sluggishly raised her glass to audibly connect with each of ours.

I weren't exactly sure when Cassie had gotten her manicured hands on so many drinks, but before i knew it, she was off mumbling something about Nate when lingering around each hallway like a forgotten ghost in an old cemetery. Her makeup had already been smeared down the sides of her face, cheeks bright and rosy from the elevated consumption of alcohol, and it appeared as if her attire had completely restricted her from moving freely. I'd never seen Cassie so uncomfortable in her own skin.

There had been a moment where i pulled her aside by the thin strap of her dress, and into an empty room. Her footsteps found no rhythm, stumbling and tripping up underneath her as her eyes widened with obvious confusion, as if the person who dragged her in there wasn't a close friend.