Chapter 22 - To Victory or Death

There was a hustle of activity throughout the camp as nearly every person who could wield a weapon began to make preparations. Word of the enemy force's arrival had spread throughout the survivors' camp and nearly everyone was willing to help out where needed. As Zekiel—who had assumed a leadership role in the coming battle—gave instruction where he could, the others sought to make sure what weapons and armor that were available were distributed.

Those who had combat experience were given priority but they were also expected to give the inexperienced ones a crash course in combat efficiency.

At the recommendation of Chen, Zekiel broke the large group of survivors up into smaller platoon-sized groups of roughly 50 people each. From there, they were broken down even further to smaller squad-sized groups. Each having a leader who was responsible for the well-being of their squad.

"This," explained Chen, "will ensure that those with the most experience have a leadership position and can provide guidance and confidence to those around them when the battle begins."

In the day that had passed since the invaders were discovered by the Maligi, numerous runners were sent out to recon the enemy's landing zone. Given the disadvantage the survivors were seemingly in, any and all information they could get on the enemy's strength, numbers and capabilities would prove vital.

After setting off in the early morning, one such runner returned just as the sun was setting. Panting due to the exertion of running nonstop, the human male came to a stop just in front of Zekiel.

"They continue to unload heavy weapons from their ship," said the runner. "Dozens of armored vehicles now line the valley as what I can only estimate were thousands of Trandoshans worked in preparation. I only spotted the one enemy ship."

"The enemy ship," inquired Zekiel. "Has it moved?"

"No," the runner sighed. "It hovers just over the landing zone preventing any sort of aerial attack. I guess they've heard the legends of the flying dragons of Atophis."

Others around them chuckled slightly but for Zekiel, there was no humor to be found in the situation.

"Was there anything else?"

The runner—still gathering his breath—answered.

"Well...there was one thing. But I don't know what to make of it."

Zekiel stood motionless as he waited for the runner to continue.

"While scouting, I spotted a figure in the distance. It was...not a living thing. It looked like a machine but moved like one of us."

Shayla's head tilted to the side.

"A machine?" she asked.

"I can only guess but yes, I believe so."

Zekiel spoke.

"Did it see you?"

"It...did, sir," replied the runner. "And then it...waived to me."

Turning, Shayla and Zekiel exchanged confused looks before turning back towards the runner.

"After a moment," the runner continued, "it vanished deep into the jungle. I attempted to follow it but wasn't able to do so. It appeared to be heading away from the enemy's camp so I do not believe it was aligned with them."

"Well if it wasn't an enemy," asked Zekiel, "then what the hell was it?"

"I do not know, sir. I've given all the information I have on what I saw."

Nodding, Shayla placed her hand on the runner's shoulder.

"You've done well. Get some rest and make what preparations you can."