Chapter 21 - Genesis of Light

A sliver of sunlight was just beginning to crest the horizon as Jolis laid the final component on the ground before him. Working through the night, he and HK-1 once again constructed and assembled the series of intricate parts that would be used for the weapon.

Although they were able to construct nearly all of the components they needed, all of the power supplies they'd used in their previous attempts had either been destroyed or were no longer functioning properly. As such, a power source had to be pulled from a different location due to the lack of materials.

Searching a nearby home, Jolis soon discovered one of the power supplies he'd constructed in his youth.

Designed to keep homes powered during the cold season, the small but efficient power unit could power a family's home for months at a time without needing to be charged or replaced.

It appeared to be in good condition but in its current form, it was far too large to be used effectively in the weapon's design. Carefully, Jolis used a number of small tools and opened the power supply's casing. Within it, Jolis' mind began diagnosing the mechanical dilemma until he came up with a solution.

Pulling the wires connecting the power core and the oscillating power receptors, Jolis removed the core and put the remaining parts away.

As he analyzed the power core, his visual inspection of the thin metal cylinder-shaped device concluded with him believing it to be a fitting substitute.

It now seemed that everything was ready

This time, however, Jolis was taking a different approach for the final construction phase.

Taking a seat on the dirt outside of his old family home, Jolis reached into his pocket and pulled out one half of the Sun'ari crystal. After numerous build attempts which had all ended in failure, the Sun'ari crystals remained miraculously undamaged.

Placing it on the ground with the other parts, Jolis had just one more item on his mental pre-assembly checklist.

"HK," said Jolis.

The droid—standing in the doorway to the house just behind Jolis—immediately responded.

"Ready to serve, Master."

"Can you please step inside?"

"But I wish to watch, Master."

"I know, but I wish to focus."

"Are you calling me a distraction, Master?"

Jolis huffed through his nose as he considered his response.

"Yes."

For a moment, Jolis half anticipated some sort of violent reaction from the Hunter-Killer droid. Instead, a bit of its former version surfaced.

A heavy and overly-exaggerated mechanical sigh emitted from its vocabulator.

"As you wish, Master," HK-1 reluctantly replied. "I shall return to the house and clean up the mess you've made. A fitting job for one of my skill set."

As the droid turned and proceeded further into the home, its voice began to fade even as its rantings continued.

"Yes, I shall destroy these pesky grains of dust and debris, thus rescuing Atophis from the grip of tyranny and oppression!"

Using the Force, Jolis slowly closed the door to the home behind him as he tried to not laugh.

Now onto the task at hand.

Re-centering himself, Jolis fixed his eyes on the dozens of various sized parts on the ground before him. Having no way of truly knowing if what he was about to do would work, Jolis spoke aloud.