▪︎■ 10 ■▪︎

▪︎■ Adrin Moreno ■▪︎

▪︎▪︎▪︎ Yesterday, after the meeting ▪︎▪︎▪︎

We talked, we (at least) agreed to some first preparations and she disappeared after a surprisingly peaceful conversation. Well, not entirely calm, but we were getting there. Or not. Considering most people wouldn't quite call a gun to someone's head peaceful, but we weren't most people so fuck that.

For now we had enough to do by checking for moles, keeping the police out of it all and so on...

She was gone for ten minutes now and I still sat behind the desk, lost in thoughts.

▪︎▪︎▪︎ 19 years ago ▪︎▪︎▪︎

"What a handsome young man..." My nanny said, smiling encouraging while I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a suit similar to the one I wore when my uncle was shot.

"Let me fix your tie," she said, already reaching for it. I dodged her hand and did it myself, wishing it was my mother. One month was gone since Christmas last year. Since everything changed. New Year's Eve wasn't happy anymore, mom was talking rarely so they got a nanny and padre was grieving over his brother.

At least that's what the nanny told me, but I overheard her gossiping with the cook. He was "out, drinking and cheating on my madre". I didn't understand what it meant exactly. It sounded complicated.
For me, it felt much easier; madre was sad all the time, padre was doing bad things, coming home even later than he did while working, being weird and loud.

I knew they thought I wouldn't know that padre was coming home late while reeking like the business partners zio always warned me about. I knew. He said they were bad, did bad things once they lost control. Even late at night, he was so loud that I woke up from my nightmares.

I tried to appear brave, with a pokerface like zio when he was playing cards. I missed him. And I missed the times where family was a word with meaning.

Today would be his funeral. As sad as it was, a little part of me was happy and hopeful to see my parents. That we would all be together again, like we were before. That we could maybe come to an end with the pain and grief after saying goodbye to zio one last time. Immediately, I felt guilty and send a little prayer, asking for forgiveness.