Chapter 44: Not What I Expected ~ pt.3

In the evening, Madame Brandra walked with Kazia again to visit with Eaphan, but they were told that he must rest and were turned away.

They strolled slowly around the courtyard until sunset. Kazia suggested that they visit Amelys before climbing the stairs again, but she did not appear to be home.

Amelys had spent much of the week in meetings with the Queen and her cabinet. No news had reached Kazia from those meetings, but they had not yet declared war on Valesk, and Kazia took that as a hopeful sign.

Returning to the staircase, they encountered Neiphi, already on her way up.

"Neiphi, what are you doing about at this hour?" Kazia asked.

"I heard you were in the bailey, and I had to come see for myself," Neiphi answered. "You are out of your room!"

"Everyone is so pleased," Kazia said.

"If Neiphi is here, I think I shall wait for the Mistress," Brandra said. "Neiphi, will you see Kazia up the stairs?"

"I really am fine," Kazia protested, but accepted Neiphi's accompaniment.

Halfway up the first flight, she had to pause a moment.

"Fine, are you?" Neiphi asked.

"Don't chide me, child," Kazia answered, but with a rueful smile.

They finally reached the top of the staircase, and turning down Kazia's hallway found Amelys coming away from Kazia's apartment.

"There you are," Amelys said. "Kazia, you worried me."

"Apologies, Mistress," Kazia answered. "I only went to see Eaphan. Please, come inside."

"Yes," Amelys said. "There are things we must discuss."

Kazia was tired and small aches were rearing up after her trip across the castle grounds, so Amelys insisted on making her comfortable before they spoke.

Neiphi put on the kettle while Amelys helped Kazia into a nightdress. They settled into the sitting room, Kazia nestling onto the settee and tucking her bare feet under her and a blanket about her shoulders.

"I have difficult things to tell you," Amelys said. "I'm not certain Neiphi should hear them."

"She'll hear them eventually, I've learned," Kazia replied with a smile for her Apprentice. "Is this about Abrizhen?"

Amelys nodded, but still kept her voice low while Neiphi prepared tea at the other end of the room.

"In part. Master Ilianus and I met with the Queen this afternoon. This will not be an easy matter. Other defectors of Valeskan nobility have been of far lower rank than your brother, and since you are already here, there's a fear that harboring both of you could be seen as open hostility."

"But Valesk has attacked Caedra, right here in the Capital," Kazia protested. "Surely hostilities are open already."

Amelys shook her head.

"No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing, and there is no clear evidence as of yet."

"What can we do?"

"If it comes to it, Tamyn will take Abrizhen to Thalesia."

"And Tamyn would leave with him, then?"

"He would have to resign his position here, yes."

Kazia sighed as melancholy set over her.

"Well, I won't be selfish," she said. "If that is best for them, then perhaps they should just forego all this trouble and do that now. I'd rather have Abrizhen safe sooner than later."