Chapter 27: Let's Not Mention It

Although the year had progressed well into Autumn, the weather was still quite warm in Caedra.

Amelys and Brandra sat under the pergola sipping tea while Kazia sat on a stone bench, watching Neiphi attempt energy work.

She intended to use Kazia's hay bales as targets, but couldn't even muster much more than a spark as of yet.

The garden gate swung open, and Kelvaran strode across the lawn. His steps slowed as he saw Kazia, and she tensed.

It had been a month since the incident in the library and she'd had no contact with him other than in passing. Feeling a healthy amount of embarrassment and contrition flowing from him, though, she relaxed.

"Mistress Amelys summoned me," he said somewhat defensively, making a half-turn. "I can return later."

"Kelvaran!" Amelys called from the pergola as she beckoned with her hand. "Come!"

He took a step forward, but stopped and turned back to Kazia.

"I owe you an apology," he said to the ground.

"No need," Kazia replied shortly. "Let's not mention it."

She had plenty of her own embarrassment from that day.

Kelvaran nodded, then glanced at Neiphi, who stood between the hay bales balanced on one foot, the other cocked up and resting against her knee, holding both hands up before her face and snapping her fingers repeatedly.

"What are you doing?" Kelvaran asked her, perplexed.

"Trying to call ethereal energy," Neiphi said.

"Master Ilianus has been training her in Contemplation," Kazia explained. "She's a bit eager."

"That explains the pose," Kelvaran replied. "But isn't she your apprentice?"

Kazia shrugged.

"I can only teach her fundamentals and the workings of Artifacts. I'd rather she had better teachers for other subjects, or else I'll waste her talents."

He responded with a sound of agreement and a nod.

"Both of you come sit with us," Amelys called again.

Kazia and Kelvaran both cast skeptical glances at one another, and Kazia rose obediently.

Under the pergola, Brandra poured tea for both of them as they took seats at the table.

"Mistress Therina Jennade has passed away," Amelys said.

"My condolences, Mistress," Kelvaran said.

Kazia tilted her head in question. She didn't recognize the name.

"Mistress Jennade was Caedran, but worked for the Thalesian crown for about thirty years before retiring to the countryside a decade ago," Amelys explained. "Her passing was not unexpected. She's been ill for some time."

"Were you well acquainted, Mistress?" Kazia asked.

"She was a dear friend, yes," Amelys replied.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, then."

"Mistress Jennade amassed quite a collection of Artifacts at her country estate," Amelys continued. "Her will has shared them between the Thalesian and Caedran crowns, but since Caedra is at the forefront of monitoring Valesk, King Nikassis has bade us take whatever might be useful to us.

Master Ilianus will lead the envoy and act as liaison, and as this is personal to me, I'd like the two of you to join him. Kel can determine what will be useful to us and Kazia can then assess their condition and potential for salvage if needed."