Chapter 25: Is That Why You're Sad? ~ pt. 2

"Halany will certainly move to withdraw Valesk from the Treaties soon," Amelys said as Kazia refilled both of their wine glasses.

"Is there nothing the Noble Council can do?" Kazia asked before continuing with her dinner.

Amelys had a sip of wine and shook her head as she replaced her glass on the table.

"He has now bribed enough, and imprisoned enough who wouldn't be bought," she said.

Kazia put down her fork.

"Is Valesk lost, then?"

"Not quite, not yet. We still have a few irons in the fire. Speaking of, not that I brought you out to discuss Kelvaran, I did not, but have you any progress on his Artifact?"

"I'm afraid it's come to a halt," Kazia said. "Whatever your plans for it, you may need to reassess."

"I see," Amelys said. "That's too bad. Although to be honest, the plan was not my favorite. Now, I know you've been working hard, but are you also resting? Pursuing any other pastimes? I shouldn't like it if you were wearing yourself out."

"Reading a bit," Kazia said. "I never really developed any other pastimes. The work was always enough to hold my interest."

Amelys nodded. "And have things been peaceful enough for you? No trouble from anyone?"

"I thought we weren't discussing Lord Meratha," Kazia said with a wry smile.

"Has he troubled you further?"

"No, Mistress. I haven't seen him since-"

Her memory drifted back to that moment when she...

"Alright, Kazia?" Amelys said, seeing Kazia's expression darken. "We needn't speak of it."

"I kissed him," Kazia said.

"Oh?" Amelys responded, putting down her own fork now.

"I was getting lost in the truth spell, trying too hard to resist speaking. He kept asking me what I wanted..."

Kazia sighed heavily.

"...and that is what I wanted."

"I see," Amelys said. "Should I not have ordered him to stay away?"

"No, Mistress, that was right. The very idea is clearly laughable, and the sooner I put this foolishness aside all the better."

"Is it foolishness, though? I've often wondered if some of his hostility toward you wasn't an avoidance of other sentiments."

"He thought I was trying to trick him."

"Yes," Amelys agreed. "He would think so. Still-"

"And isn't there already... the name in that watch. I assume Yilina is someone important to him."

Amelys glared through narrowed eyes.

"That... is something best left to lie," she said sourly. "Hardly worth a mention."

"You can't mean to encourage this, surely," Kazia added with some exasperation. "I have accepted that I can't live normally, as a normal woman would. Abrizhen was right about that. There's no way anyone would want me if they knew the truth, and I have to medicate myself to even bear the presence of others. I can't have what others have, and certainly not with someone so full of thorns as Kelvaran Meratha."

"Kazia, my darling girl," Amelys said. "You are far too young to believe your future carved in stone. You may be right about Kel, but you may yet find someone of a gentler temperament who would suit you."