Chapter 34: He Is Quite Nice

Neiphi and Master Giao arrived at Kazia's laboratory together in the afternoon, Neiphi to report for work after her lessons, Master Giao carrying a large pack and wearing a threadbare knitted cap.

"Are you ready, then, Master Giao?" Kazia said.

"I am," he replied.

"The cap is of your wife's making, I assume? Is that silk?" she asked, peering closely at the multicolored design.

"It is, yes," Master Giao nodded.

"Fortunate," Kazia remarked. "Silk stores ethereal energy quite well. It is very beautiful."

"It has seen better days, I'm afraid," he said wistfully.

"Perhaps she can knit you a new one now," Kazia suggested, "when you find her."

He smiled such that his whole face joined in, and his eyes glistened.

"Why is the transmitter on?" Neiphi asked.

Kazia looked at Master Giao with a sly smile.

"I've tried an additional ingredient to the potion," she said. "No luck yet though, I'm afraid."

Neiphi picked up the watch and began singing into it.

"Not now, Neiphi," Kazia said. "I think Master Giao would like to be on his way."

"Leave her a moment," Master Giao said. "If it works, I would love to see that."

Neiphi increased her volume, dancing to the other end of the room as Kazia and Master Giao moved closer to the receiver, listening.

The hiss of static was the only sound.

"Ah, well," Master Giao said at last.

"Shall we?" Kazia asked. "Neiphi, will you turn off the transmitter, please?"

They wheeled the portal out into open space again, and Neiphi came close to watch, her eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"This is exciting! Are you excited?" she asked Master Giao.

"And you're sure about this?" Kazia said. "I'd hate to see-"

"Don't you worry about me. You just be well, Lady Devratha. Thank you."

"Oh, what if it doesn't work now?" Neiphi cried, hugging her arms about herself.

But Master Giao put a hand to the portal, and he was gone.

~~~*~~~

Kazia approached Kelvaran's door sadly. The last time she'd been here, Master Giao had been as well, warning her not to go in. She smiled at the memory. Hesitantly, she knocked at the door. There was no answer, so she went to the next door, his laboratory, and knocked there.

"Come!"

She entered the room hesitantly.

Kelvaran was bent over a work table, frock coat hung on the back of his chair, shirtsleeves rolled up, hair tied back, with a variable magnifying lens strapped around his head, welding a component into the device before him.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," Kazia said, looking about the laboratory. It was not unlike her own, although perhaps more neatly organized.

He looked up at her, then pulled the lens off of his head and laid it aside.

"What is it?"

"Master Giao has gone through the portal," she told him. "I thought-"

"It might have sent him here?" he asked. "He is not here."