Chapter 13 - Artificial Castling

Chabashira-sensei walked into the classroom in a relaxed manner.

Even though my classmates should have realized this, a few of them felt anxious. We had the old test papers and made efforts to study prior to the midterms, so they should have had more confidence in themselves.

The only exception to this rule had been Sudou, who was without a doubt the most apprehensive out of the bunch, since he messed up during his English test. There was a chance that he might have failed, after all.

"Sensei, when will the results be announced?"

"You shouldn't be worried, Hirata. It would have been hard for you to fail, even if you tried. But the results are in, so I might as well announce them now."

Chabashira-sensei stuck a large poster with everyone's names and test scores onto the blackboard. The subjects were ordered after the sequence in which we had taken them, so first was social studies and the last one on the list was English. Each list was arranged in descending order of the person's score.

""What the hell?""

Multiple students shouted and glanced around in surprise upon seeing the results on the poster. The reason was not because about half of our class had scored perfectly in the midterms, but because of the unbelievable score achieved by a single person on top of each list that blew everyone away.

According to her expression, however, even the person in question was surprised.

The stern, yet beautiful girl beside me stared at this scene with widened, astonished eyes

The stern, yet beautiful girl beside me stared at this scene with widened, astonished eyes. She wasn't the only student in this classroom that was confused, though. No one could comprehend what Chiaki had achieved during the exam.

"Hey, Chabashira-sensei! Aren't the results kind of... you know... wrong?"

"Yeah, sensei! How is it possible that Matsushita-san scored 101 points on every test?"

"Even though I'm happy for her good scores, it's really kinda like, impossible to achieve that, y'know?"

More and more students began to chime in with their own opinions regarding this matter, which changed the previously comfortable atmosphere into a loud, confusing mess. Our beloved homeroom teacher shook her head, fed up with the whole situation, and threw us an icy glare.

"Quiet!"

Chabashira-sensei's irritated voice was proof enough that she was displeased with the barrage of annoying comments that flew her way. My classmates fell silent and anticipated her next words with curious yet strained expressions.

"I assure you that all the scores on this sheet were verified by multiple teachers and that they are completely valid. That being said, Matsushita..." She turned to Chiaki, who regarded her with a confused gaze. "Congratulations on your score."

According to her awed and perplexed appearance, Chiaki was still processing her scores, wondering how she had managed to obtain 101 points in each subject, which should have been impossible. Since she was aware about some of this school's special quirks, I believed that it wouldn't take much longer until she realized what might have happened.