sixty five

THE GROWNUPS

•••

When Baby arrived at the new record shop that William put Steven and his half-sister Angie in charge of, she lifted Scarlett out of the carriage and laid her against her chest and attempted to wrap her jacket around the infants body; the nip of winter was present in the air. Scarlett rested her head against her mother's shoulder as she looked around the shops interior with wide, curious eyes. The black and white tiled floor was littered with cardboard boxes of records that were tempting but too heavy to steal.

Hyde's face lit up when he saw his wife and child standing by the doorway from across the room, "There's my girls," He spoke as he made his way over to them. He greeted each of them with a kiss on the tops of their foreheads.

The girls lips curled into a smile.

"You look really hot. Like Stevie Nicks hot." He complimented while leaning down to peck her lips. He continually gave her high praise for her new hairstyle,

"You're making me wish I cut my hair sooner." She pecked back.

He placed a hand on the small of her back and guided her to William and Angie in the middle of the room. The blonde looked around taking in the store, "This place is gonna look so rad when you've got everything set up." She told her husband before they joined his family.

"Remember, kids, music is joy, comfort, a Band-Aid to the wounded soul." William educated his children, "And if you get people to believe that crap, you're gonna sell a lot of records. Here are the keys to the store,"

Angie took the from her father's hand, "Thank you. I just figured someone who hasn't been in prison should hold the keys."

Baby got along with Angie just fine but still was unsure about her; she seemed fake and arrogant.

"I thought you'd do that so I made an extra set for you." William held out a second pair,

Beth chuckled lightly and grabbed the keys, "I'll take care of those for now. I'm the responsible one for the two of us."

William chuckled with her, "He's lucky to have you. Now let me get a hold of my sweet grandbaby." William grinned and took Scarlett in his arms, to which she squealed with enthusiasm.

"Oh he's aware." She slipped the key into her pant pocket with Hyde's hand resting on her lower back.

William gently bounced the small infant as he looked at his grown children, "Alright, I'm gonna leave you all to it." He kissed his granddaughters cheek before handing the baby back to Baby, "Beth, I'm gonna have to take you up on your dinner offer soon, but I'll have you at my house. Give you lot a break," he smiled.

The blonde grinned back, "Sure thing, Mr. Barnett."

He cringed and shook his head, "Enough with the formalities, we're family. Alright, I gotta hit the road. Can't wait to see what you guys do with the place." He said before taking off.