twenty four

THE KISS OF DEATH

•••

"So you didn't tell her?" Baby asked as she look at her twin who was staring off in space.

"I felt so guilty. I just...I couldn't." Eric said referring back to the night before when he killed Donna's cat.

"Is it because you're kinda glad it's dead?" Laurie asked.

The twins paused and furrowed their brows at their older sister.

"No. Hey, maybe I don't have to tell her. Maybe she'll just think Mr. Bonkers ran away." Eric said as he looked down at his plate.

"That works. That's what we told you when..." their father began but was quickly cut off by Kitty who shushed him.

"What?" The twins asked in unison.

"Honey, eat your pizza rolls." Kitty instructed, changing the subject.

Beth looked at her brother with a worried expression, hoping her father wasn't referring to Flipper, her beloved turtle that ran away when she was seven.

"Look how hard can it be? You go over there and you say, hey, I'm a cat killer. I murdered..." Red started laughing just as he was about to finish his sentence.

As he stifled a laugh he said, "I murdered your cat. but you try to say it with a straight face."

The twins and their mother looked at Red in shock.

"Daddy..." Beth said as she clutched her glass of water in her hand.

"What? Am I the only one that sees the humour in this?" He asked.

"I think you might be, Red." Kitty said while Beth nodded her head in agreement.

"Oh, come on. That thing was always messin' in my yard, goin' through our garbage." Red tried to reason.

"Now we have Hyde for that." Laurie said smugly.

"Oh, yeah, Laurie, and what exactly do you do? Oh, that's right! The Packers!" Hyde chuckled as he ate his spaghetti.

"Excuse me? Dilemma here!" Eric spoke up trying to get the attention back on him.

"Eric, this is not a dilemma." Beth shook her head, "Just keep your mouth shut and she won't find out."