sixty one

THE GIFT

•••

Exasperatedly, Bethany dropped onto her bed breathing deeply. Her swollen ankles barely carried her up the stairs, her overall enthusiasm had been depleting as fast as her bump was growing. Though there were ups and downs, she was feeling more low than high and Steven wasn't helping that case. His constant comments about other women – which Bethany believed to be more frequent than they once used to be – were getting her down.

She was doing her best not to nag him but with the due date fast approaching and a nursery far from started, her hormones and frustration were not easily tamed. She sighed, completely overworked and wondering if she could quit her job at The Hub – Beth knew she had to sooner or later but was holding out for as long as she could to make some extra cash.

"Bethany!" Donna's voice came from the other side of the closed door in a sing-song tone.

The blonde squeezed her eyes shut and winced a little; she wasn't in the mood of socialization, she just wanted to sleep the day away.

"I know you're in there I saw you waddle up the driveway." Donna giggled as she thought back.

Slowly Beth pushed herself in a sitting position, "Enter if you dare." She told her friend as she fluffed pillows behind her back so she could rest against the headboard.

Entering daringly, the redhead pushed open the door, "Whatcha up to?'

"Nothing for once," The blonde breathed out, she was busy picking up extra shifts, helping out with chores around the house, reading up on how to keep her baby alive, and buying stuff for said baby – all while peeing every fifteen minutes and puking every evening.

"So you don't want to come shopping with me?"

"I don't think I can be on my feet any longer. Look at my ankles," she stuck her foot out and her friend's eyes widened.

"Oh, my god!" she cleared her throat and realized her mistake, "They aren't that bad..." she fibbed.

Pft'ing, Baby rolled her eyes, "I belong in a circus all caged up with the elephants."

"You're being too hard on yourself, Beth." Donna narrowed her eyes at her,

"No this kid is being too hard on my body. I'm tempted to withhold sex forever if that means I don't have to do this again." She leaned her head against the headboard.

"You don't mean that,"

"You're right, I definitely don't mean that." Beth chuckled, "Steven's too skilled."

"Speaking of... is Hyde still being flaky?" the redhead questioned.

She nodded,

"He's been working a bunch." She told her truthfully, "Which is great and it's not. I want to spend more time with him; I want him to put a little more effort in. He promised me he would." The corners of her lips fell as she twisted the rings around her fingers, staring at them.