243. Qingyang County; Shopkeeper Wang (2)

Totally ignoring the waiter’s rudeness, Ling Jingxuan asked with a smile. As early as when he made the decision to come to the county, he had inquired the situation here from Shopkeeper Zhang in advance.

“Yes, I am. You are?”

It was not strange the other side knew who he is, but apparently it was a strange face, Shopkeeper Zhang couldn’t help looking a bit confused. But soon Ling Jingxuan solved the puzzle for him, “I have long heard that Shopkeeper Zhang is quite capable and manages the restaurant in the county very well. My name is Ling Jingxuan, from Ling village, Datong town.”

“So you are Childe Ling! Sorry I didn’t recognize you. Come on. Childe Ling, come upstairs with me.”

Sweeping away the previous social civility, Shopkeeper Wang came from behind the counter after hearing his name. Through the whole Cangzhou, no shopkeepers of Xinyuan Restaurant had never heard about him. He was their biggest supplier. The grape wine Lord Six took away with him, others may not know but not him, was also brewed by him! He even specially sent Zhang a jar, making him so jealous. Pity that Zhang was so stingy and wouldn’t let him have a taste at all. Till now, he still hadn’t had a chance to have a smell of it.

“Shopkeeper Wang, it’s so kind of you. After you!”

It seemed that he didn’t have to use the token from Zeng Shaoqing this time. Ling Jingxuan turned to throw the others a smile and then under Shopkeeper Wang’s lead, they went to the most luxurious third floor. Compared with he and Yan Shengrui’s calmness, except Chu Yan who performed like a little old man, others all looked over cautious and uneasy. And that waiter who tried to stop them from going in now already got stoned there after Shopkeeper Zhang received them so warmly. Everyone was guessing who those seemingly poor people were. Why Shopkeeper Zhang would receive them in person? One should know, even when Lord Magistrate was here, he had never entertained him like this.

“Childe Ling, what brings you into the county? You should have sent someone to inform me, so I can arrange a carriage to pick you up.”

Taking them into a spacious and luxuriant room on the third floor, Shopkeeper Zhang entertained them in person. Ling Jingxuan gave him a pretendingly shy smile, and then signaled Ling Jingpeng  with an eye. Then Ling Jingpeng took out a jar of grape wine out of the bamboo basket behind his back. Shopkeeper Zhang’s eyes instantly lit up. It was true he had never had a chance to smell it, he saw the external packing! Never thought he still had a jar in his hands! For this, he saw something more out of Ling Jingxuan. One hundred taels of silver a jar, he could save some for himself, which was enough to prove his is no ordinary farmer.

“Sorry, I didn’t prepare some decent present for the first meeting. This is some home-made grape wine. Hope you wouldn’t mind.”

In a twinkling of an eye, Ling Jingxuan took the wine from the hands of his younger brother and handed it to him, this time, he took two jars with him, one for Shopkeeper Wang, the other, obviously, for Lord Magistrate. Of course, he wouldn’t send it to them for free. In the future, things they returned would far exceed a jar of grade wine.

“This… this is too expensive…”

Shopkeeper Wang stared in shock, and his hand trembled as he pointed at the jar. He never dreamed that the wine was actually for him.

“Hehe… don’t mention that. Our farmers have no other good stuff. I only hope you could accept it.”

Speaking of which, Ling Jingxuan stuffed the jar into his arms, like it was not a jar of grape wine worth one hundred taels of silver but just a pile of straw paper. Others, including Ling Jingpeng, were all not clear about its specific price, otherwise, they would never stay so poised.

“All right, all right, then I wouldn’t stand on ceremony. Childe Ling, what brings you here this time?”

Smiling and tightly holding his long-coveted grape wine, Shopkeeper Wang sat on their opposite side. The room was huge, the kids already went to other compartments for the ‘adventure’, leaving them adults only.

“I do have something to turn help from you, Shopkeeper Wang. I wonder if you know where the biggest embroidery shop is in here. To be honest, my aunt made some exquisite things, so I want to let the shopkeeper there to have a look, so I can exchange for some money to help out with the family expenses.”

Since the other side had taken the initiative to ask, Ling Jingxuan also went straight to the point.

“Embroidery shop? Why don’t you go to Baiyun Ge? They sell women’s stuff there, which is also our Lord Six’s industry. But they only sell exquisite and luxuriant things. If you have confidence in your stuff, maybe you can go try your luck.”

Hearing this name, Ling Jingxuan was not the first to have reactions, but Yan Shengrui who was sitting aside. Ling Jingxuan cast a faint look at him. Is it possible this Baiyun Ge is his?

“Well, they have branches in almost each county and town throughout Cangzhou and Yunzhou. And in other regions, only prefectures have the branch. Although not as big as Xinyuan, their yearly profit is no less than Xinyuan. You know, it’s comparatively easier to earn money from women.”

Ignoring his strangeness, Shopkeeper Wang further explained. Anyhow, they shared the same boss, so more or less, they knew each other’s business.

“If so, your Lord Six is really worthy to be the richest businessman of the whole kingdom.”

Lips slightly hooked, Ling Jingxuan looked meaningful under the eyes, according to the time calculation, now Zeng Shaoqing should have received his letter asking to have a share of his Xinyuan Restaurant now..

“Yeah, sure. Oh, look at me. I was too occupied on introducing you it, and forgot to ask someone to get you some pastries and snacks. Childe Ling, wait a minute. I will be right back.”

Finding himself too talkative, Shopkeeper Wang made an excuse and stood up. Ling Jingxuan was not stupid, so he said with a smile, “Shopkeeper Wang, no need, we can entertain ourselves. You can go mind your business.”

“Do you need me to send someone to inform the shopkeeper of Baiyun Ge?”

Before he left, the shopkeeper holding the wine in his arms asked him in a serious voice. He took the wine that was worth one hundred taels of silver from him, of course, he should do something in return.

“No, thanks, I can go by myself. Thank you.”

“You are welcome.”

Speaking of which, Shopkeeper Wang turned to leave, not long after, the waiter brought them tea and a few plates of delicate snacks. Ling Jingxuan also wasn’t being polite with them and accepted it.