Nine

*10 Months Later*

I wish I had been strong enough to walk away from Andy but I hadn't been. The affair went with us into the new year and throughout the summer, with him making random excuses for the times he spent away from home.

I never wanted to be the other woman. I looked down on them, judged them for being weak. But here I was, just the same. And I finally understood them. I didn't ask to fall in love with a married man, and I continued to be foolish in thinking he was ever going to leave her for me. There was a life there, a child involved. And I knew that he wouldn't leave her, for Jacob's sake.

I hadn't seen much of him, since school started. Jacob was in high school now and it was a transition period for all of them. And instead of taking the initiative and start seeing other people, I sat by my phone, praying for it to go off.

It was Friday night, and I was getting ready for my set at the restaurant. My dress for tonight was midnight blue, with sequins laid in to mimic ripples on the water. I thought it was beautiful. After styling my hair in big, relaxed curls and pinning them behind my one ear, allowing the curls to cascade over my one shoulder.

We make our way on stage and I see that the house is full. And sitting, right in front of where I stand on stage, is Andy. But he's not alone. She's here. He brought her here... I turn to the guys, "From a Table Away." I whisper.

"Are you sure?" Tony asks.

"Yeah." I nod, swallowing the lump in my throat.

I bet you'd never guess who I saw tonight
Guess you didn't see me in those low dim lights
I knew who she was
By the ring still on her hand
Sure looked like you still wanted to be her man

So I guess that mean that things are better
Must not be so bad at home
I thought it looked like you were leavin'
But it don't
And I heard you tell her you still love her
So it doesn't matter what you say
I saw it all
From a table away

I thought that she was pretty
She's nothing like the things you said
The woman you described
Couldn't even turn your head
The two of you look lost inside a world all your own
Like you couldn't wait to get her alone

So I guess that means that things are better
Must not be so bad at home
I thought it looked like you were leavin'
But it don't
And I heard you tell her you still love her
So it doesn't matter what you say
I saw it all
From a table away

And I heard you tell her you still love her
So it doesn't matter what you say
I saw it all
From a table away
Yes you're gonna stay
A table away

I draw out that last note before the crowd applauses. "I'd hate to be the guy she's singing about." I hear Laurie joke. I keep my eyes centered at the bar in the back of the room, before they flick down to look at him once as he responds. "Yeah." He smiles but it doesn't quite meet his eyes.

🎶🎵🎶

I don't hear from Andy until the following week. I had gone home from work early, I wasn't feeling well. Throwing my keys into the bowl by the door and my bag and shoes on the ground next to it, I padded into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and downing it, hoping it would help settle my stomach.

"What was that about last week?" Andy asks as he just walks in, using the key I had made for him.

"Please, come in Andy. I'm so glad you decided to knock." I say sarcastically.

"You sing that song and then avoid me?"

"You bring your wife to my place of employment and expect me to what exactly? Singing is my job Andy, I can't help what we sing. And I heard her comment, she doesn't think that it was about you. But you did so maybe you should figure out your guilty conscious."

"I did. I'm in contact with a divorce lawyer. And then you did that and it made me wonder if it was worth it."

"You can't do that. Throw the potential that you're leaving her in my face like that. That's not fair." I spit back.

"It's not just that. Something's happened Celeste."

"I know. I heard about the Rifkin boy. It's horrible what happened to him."

"They think it's Jacob." He whispers.

"What?" I asked shocked.

"They think Jacob's the one who did it. They're preparing to arrest him, my son."

"Oh Andy. I'm... I'm so sorry." I reach out for him but he pulls back.

"I can't do this anymore... My family, we're about to come under a microscope. And my son needs me."

"I understand. Take all the time you need."

"I don't know if I'll be able to come back to you."

I swallow the tears that threaten to overflow out of my eyes. "Then I guess this is goodbye." I say, my voice cracking with emotion. I say before going through open the door for him.

"Please don't do it like this." He begs.

"How else am I supposed to do this Andy? I can't act like I'm not broken by this but my emotional state isn't going to change your mind. So it's best to just let me do this like I am. I'm still here if you need a friend, but I can't sit around hoping you'll change your mind. I don't have a crystal ball to see the future. You might never leave her and I can't keep banking on a pipe dream. So this is what I have to do." I say, my tears falling freely now. He walks to my front door. "Goodbye Andy."