Chapter 27 : In The Shadow Of The Moutain

The riders of Rohan were getting ready as fast as they could, to go to Dunharrow, where all their strengths had been summoned, before they leave to Gondor, and war. Two days later, the Rohirrims' army will face its enemies in the fields of pelennor, as Theoden had announced it, a few hours sooner.

Tauriel led Fengel out of the stables and stopped next to Arod, who was already carrying Legolas and Gimli on his back. As she was getting on her horse, she heard the dwarf grumble :

''Horse-masters ! I wish I could muster a legion of dwarves, fully armed and filthy ! ''

She met Legolas' gaze, and she immediately knew he had the same dark thoughts than she had. Their enemy was perhaps ready to attack them in Gondor, but his underlings were everywhere, so every people in Middle Earth was in danger. In fact, the probability for the war to be already in the north lands was quite big. She hoped Mirkwood would be well defended.

''Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on their own lands'', Legolas said.

''Let's hope they are ready to fight'', she whispered.

As they were heading to the city exit, she saw, on the stairs that led to the palace, Merry knelt in front of the king, his sword pointed to the ground. Theoden made him stand up and announced something to the hobbit, who left, smiling and happy. Tauriel sighed. Merry had sworn allegiance to the king, to Rohan. He would have to fight, without a doubt because he felt useless, as Frodo and Sam were walking to Mordor and Pippin with Gandalf in Minas Tirith. He was going too to face danger, in the front line.

She made Fengel move on, and he docilely followed Legolas' horse. Behind her, Aragorn got on his mount, and walked behind her stallion. She saw at the corner of her eye, Eowyn on a beautiful brown horse, that looked like Ithil, her own mare she had left in Rivendell with Arwen. The red-hair elf was surprised to see her joining them, but she immediately understood when she noticed a little bump on the saddle of the young woman. Eowyn was not here to say goodbye, but to fight, and the sword hidden under her saddle was a proof.

Riders began to gather near the city exit, listening to Eomer's exhortation, who was brandishing the flag of his people, flying in the wind :

"Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken ! Now fulfill them all ! To lord and land ! ''

Fengell crossed Edoras gates, followed by Arod, that carried Gimli, who was still complaining. The poor dwarf was tired of riding...

The king led his troops in the plains in front of the city, the high chin and the proud gaze, wearing his beautiful armor, his sword attached around his waist. The army followed him with a thunder of hooves, raising a big cloud of dust. Men were going to war, and they will do everything to give back to their homeland its freedom.

**********

In the middle of the afternoon, the army that had left Edoras in the morning, reached Dunharrow, and joined the men that were already waiting there, below the White Mountains. The camp could looked enormous for some, Tauriel was not dupe : they were not enough to have a chance against their enemy.

They crossed the camp, the king asking his generals the numbers of spears he had. With only the sound of his voice, without even seen his face, she could tell he was disappointed, and that he was expecting more from his people. However, he kept moving and refrained from making a comment.

The plain on which they were galloping was huge, and thousands of tents covered it, ready to host soldiers. They crossed this part without slowing down, and took the road that led to the mountain. At half-way, they stopped at a sloping ledge where some tents were already set up. Tauriel got down of Fengel, and put off his saddle, as the others were doing around her. The grey stallion snorted, relieved to be free again.