Chapter 88

In a fit of pure panic, I throw the half banana under the cupboard. As fast as my jaw can move, I work the piece of banana into my mouth and swallow it. I wipe my mouth and look into the corridor.

A woman in her thirties or forties walks into the living room. Her long blonde hair hangs over her shoulders, decorated with gold chains full of charms. The long white dress hangs around her body like silk. The only thing about her that is not white or gold are her pale green eyes. She is beautiful, I cannot say otherwise.

As soon as her eye falls on me, I bow slightly. She just nods her head and walks past me into the living room. I've been told to keep quiet, so that's what I do. I stand still for a few seconds before continuing to clean the living room. The woman, who I think is Nalu, has disappeared into the bedroom.

I continue cleaning in silence until I have had the entire room. Nalu did not come out of the bedroom and somehow I am grateful to her for that. I wouldn't know what to say to her, though I have so many questions. Why doesn't she share a room with the king? How does she feel about his other wives? What is her task? Maybe one day I will get the answers.

As soon as I have finished cleaning and putting things back in their place, I let out a sigh. I am exhausted, my back hurts, I am hungry and tired. My respect for the maids has increased tremendously today. I stand in the corridor with the basket full of dirty things, wondering if I should announce my departure. Leaving in silence feels strange, although I've never heard a maid announce her departure before. So I decide to open the door in silence.

'Celeste,' I suddenly hear behind me. Startled I look behind me. I hadn't expected Nalu's voice and presence. The lady is standing at the end of the corridor in exactly the same clothes as she came in. Her arms are crossed and she looks straight at me. She does not give the impression that I have a choice to leave without answering her, on the contrary, she forces the answer with her gaze. Again, I make a small bow, holding the basket in my hands.

'Your Highness,' I reply in doubt. She obviously knows who I am and we're about to find out whether that's good or bad.

'Why are you here?' It is not an aggressive tone, but rather direct. I'm also a little shaken up. It seemed clear to me that I had just cleaned the suite. The clothes and the work speak for themselves, you might say.

'I have been given the task of cleaning your suite and providing you with your wishes,' I reply. My labelling lessons from the castle slowly resurface. From how you eat to how you talk, I have been taught in detail. Since I left, those rules seem to have slipped my mind a bit, but they are still engraved in my mind and now seem to be returning without a problem.

'I mean what are you doing here in this village?' she clarifies herself. Her attitude speaks volumes. I have no opening to make up a nice excuse or tell a lie. She stands straight, has a confident attitude and her eyes seem to be taking me in completely. I have heard stories about this woman, each about how wise and firm she is. Sometimes a bitch too, but we'll leave that aside.

'My... travel companion fell ill and needed help,' is my honest and brief explanation. Nalu takes a step in my direction. Her eyes glide over me from head to toe.

'You are lucky that Novak is an acquaintance of ours. The king would not have spared you if it were not so. I must admit I made fun of you when I was informed of your arrival. Anyone else in your position would have made a different choice, I should hope.' I don't blame her. I had a suspicion about Novak's fame here, but I was not sure. Without thinking, the moment I landed here, I put Novak's safety above mine.

'I can't fault you,' I reply without thinking about whether I have permission or not. She takes another step closer.

'Travel companion you said?' she asks with a raised eyebrow and a suspicious look in her eyes. I nod slowly. She nods her head slightly in understanding. Her gaze has an undertone, an undertone of disbelief and suspicion.