-B2- Chapter 50

Where we are heading, I don't know, neither do the two women and men who have joined us on the horses.

For the first hours, it's quiet as we all try to process what has happened in the past few days. I try to ignore the pain in my burnt legs and back while riding on a horse with Novak.

My eyes are solely fixed on Elien, who is riding with Micca on a horse. Through the dense trees, it's difficult to keep them in sight, and every time I want to speak, it seems like I lose sight of them again.

Though Elien may have fought alongside us, the antidote will wear off sooner or later. I'm counting the minutes.

'Do you hurt?' Novak asks softly from behind me.

'Yes,' is my honest answer.

'Where?'

'My legs,' I partially lie.

Novak tries to stop the horse, but I hold him back. We can't stop with Elien as a ticking clock.

'Let me look at it.' I shake my head before slowly turning it toward Novak.

'Not with Elien with us.' The realization dawns on Novak. His eyes widen, focusing on Micca and Elien.

'Please tell me you found out something there,' he pleads. A grin appears on my lips.

Christiaan thought he was just taunting me with information about my mother's death. However, it took me only a second to realize they did the same with Elien.

I want to open my mouth and tell him what they injected into my little brother, but I'm too late.

In front of us, Elien grabs Micca by his throat and pulls him off the horse. Together, the two boys end up on the grass. Elien's strong hands grip Micca's neck just as they did to mine before.

The horses of the two women and men stop immediately, and they rush towards Elien. The two men pull Elien away from Micca in a swift move, leaving him gasping for breath.

Elien continues to struggle against the two boys with every possible attempt, trying to come towards me. His eyes are darker than usual, devoid of all humanity.

'Celeste, if you know something, now is the time,' Novak pleads from behind.

'Mitlar, they injected mitlar into him,' I manage to say as I gaze at my brother with wide eyes. Though it's becoming more familiar, it will never feel normal.

The two men hold him down. We all look at Alisha, searching for a solution. Her two blue eyes are enlarged. She sits frozen on the horse.

'We have nothing to draw the blood. He has to go to the house,' the red-haired woman asserts, riding on one of the other horses.

The two men, who have been struggling to keep Elien on the ground, look at her with wide eyes.

'That can't be,' says the dark-haired man.

He is about to argue his point, but Micca beats him to it.

Micca grabs Elien with his free hand, the other still around my brother's throat, and forces him to look at him. Initially, Elien tries to break free from Micca's grip, until his arms and legs stop moving. They fall still and lifeless.

'You feel no pain.' Micca's voice lowers further, almost whispering. His words sound like a chant.

'You don't want Celeste dead.' The green-blue eyes light up like beacons. The sea flows through the green, the moon shines on the blue.

'You have no troubles, sit still, and feel nothing until you get the antidote.' Elien nods slowly, as if in a trance. His black eyes seem far away from the world.

Micca makes a single nod before releasing the motionless Elien and getting up. The light green eyes return to their normal color.

Elien remains motionless on the grass until the two men release him and help him up doubtfully.

I look at Micca with wide eyes, unable to comprehend what just happened.

'You are a siren,' Alisha mutters. I look at her incredulously.

Sirens live in the waters of the Whispering Depths, not on land.

The Whispering Depths is a mysterious and dark place, an enchanting lake shrouded in secrecy.

Located in a remote and inaccessible area, this lake is ruled by the ominous presence of water monsters and sirens. The lake seems enveloped in a permanent haze of mist and darkness, giving it an eerie and bewitching aura.

Inside the lake lies an unknown world full of mysterious and dangerous creatures. No one knows exactly what lurks there. Monsters of all kinds and sizes find their home in the depths of the water. Their shadowy forms move silently through the dark waters, waiting for unsuspecting victims who venture into their territory.

Amidst the darkness and looming danger, the sirens inhabit these secluded waters. With their alluring songs and mesmerizing beauty, they lure unsuspecting travelers to their doom. Sirens are beings of enchanting grace, half human and half fish, with shimmering scales and tresses of flowing hair dancing in the flowing water.

The Whispering Depths exudes a haunting and mysterious allure, and only a few have dared to enter the dark waters and return alive.

Those who venture into this realm of shadows must overcome their fears and be wary of the temptations that lurk. It is a place steeped in secrets and peril, where only the bravest souls can discover the truth that whispers in the depths of this enchanting lake.

Never before has a siren with legs been seen, yet I believe her theory. The number of shells and other water-related decorations in his house, the blue-green eyes, and the blue magic.

'That's correct,' Micca responds. The blue-green eyes lock directly with Alisha's. The astonishment on her face turns into raised eyebrows.

'How?'

'That's a story for another time. The enchantment won't last forever; we must go.'

The realization slowly sinks in.

The pain that disappeared when he looked into my eyes and maybe even the kiss. He used it on me.

'We must go,' he repeats. He takes Elien's hand, pulling him onto the horse, and helps him into the saddle.

It's dead silent as we continue our way.