Lap Ten - Unexpected Visit

10.

Morgan Blom
▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱
10:07 AM CEP

A strong scent of coffee fills the building and dampness are steaming from the machines. My co-workers are all around me, running around in the small boutique with good-smelling croissants, served on white small plates, placed all up on their arms. I was very much relieved and grateful that my boss didn't put me anywhere else than behind the counter and coffee machine when I was needed.

Honestly, all I ever wanted as a perfect summer job, was to work just like this. Making exceptionally tasty coffee, serving (glaring at) hot Parisian boys, giving an extra-wide smile to a cute, old married couple, and plating ridiculously delicious pastries (not to mention that the pastries aren't any other than french pastries). During my early morning shifts, I was legitimately making croissants at a Parisian cafeteria. Who would have thought that?

"Next!" I shout out with a light tone.

I place a cup of coffee on the counter, a napkin, and a stirring straw with the drink before I give the woman a small smile. My attention falls back to the checkout screen, tapping on the confirm button and moving on to the next customer.

"Hello, Sir. What can I get for you today-" I stop myself from finishing my sentence. I am speechless. A tall and slim figure with a pair of two beautiful eyes is starting in front of me. I meet his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

Daniel has a wide and silly smile on his mouth with his teeth showing. I take a quick look behind him to make sure there are no customers. Without a second thought, I grab his arm from over the counter and drag him to the open path between the counters, before rushing him a little further down the kitchen aisle where we aren't too visible to coworkers.

I halt us. "Daniel, literally. Why are you here?"

"What do you mean why am I here?" He almost laughs spitting out his words.

"This is my workplace! You can't be here, Daniel," I tell him with a hissed and annoyed voice.

He points out at me with his finger, moving his hand up and down, in a playful mood. "You can be at my workplace anytime you want."

"This isn't about you! I have work to do. I can get fired." My words spit out of my mouth in frustration. Before doing something stupid, I slide up on the kitchen counter. Probably a better idea than to reach for one of the frying pans behind him.

"Well, I was thinking of the unfairness... Yanno, cuz' you can always join me at the Circuits but we've never talked about me stepping up at your workplace-"

"We have never had this conversation!"

His mouth falls open. "Oh... Maybe I imagined us having this conversation before," he trails nervously but joking way.

I have to smile a bit at his silliness. "That's different, Daniel."

"Well," he leans back, putting weight on the wall behind him and crossing his arms. "I totally get that making coffee in a café is very much different than driving around in the world's fastest car-"

I jump off the counter and slip my hand over his mouth to make him shut up, speaking way too loud about his career. "Ohmygod, can you stop being so cocky!"

Daniel holds his hands up in the air and I realize I'm way too close to my comfort. Our faces are only a few inches apart and my smile drops a little, his eyes looking right into mine. I can feel his warm breathing hitting the palm on my hand and I know he is smiling. We stand still for some seconds before I let go. I breathe out a little giggle as my thoughts rush by, trying to make out what just happened.