Chapter Forty-Eight: All of My Todays

Start from the beginning

"Beautiful," he whispered. He leaned up to push my hair behind my ear with his delicate touch. I took his hand then and brought it to my mouth, pressing my lips where our fingers tangled.

I wished I could promise him forever.

I felt the weight of love too heavily, felt the freedom of it tug and lift, and felt the pull of tomorrow and the draw of yesterday like the tides. Love made me weightless. Love made me feel grounded—but I couldn't think too much beyond the present. I could only think of the moment. Maybe the next day, eventually, but I was through planning my forevers before they were ready. I was through being worried what came next or anticipating my next step, through worrying about tomorrows before the nights of today could even reach me. I wouldn't worry about what came next.

Even though I have a feeling you are my forever.

"I can't promise you tomorrow, Reed Sterling. But I'll give you all of my todays." It was murmured into his skin, promised to his soul, and forgiven with a knowing flash of green.

"That's all I need," he reassured with a smile. A beautiful twist of his lips made me realize I was feeling what I worried I never would.

I understood the songs, the poems, the books. I understood the looks, the touches, the smiles. I understood something that could never be explained or calculated; I understood something that could never be defined. Something that could never be caught when chased.

It was something that couldn't be stolen or captured. It came on its own. It came and offered itself if only one was willing to accept, to fight for it. To surrender for it. It was something to nourish, to hold, to protect. Something that came and changed everything.

How strange four letters could hold so much meaning; how odd a single word, often carelessly tossed around, was what I was feeling. Used so often, and not always accurate—but powerful when true. Something felt by so many people, yet eluded so many others, all summed up by that collection of lines. Curves and slants on a page to mean so much.

Four letters.

One syllable.

The twilight had given way to a light drape of night

The twilight had given way to a light drape of night. The sky wasn't completely dark, a side effect of late July, but it was late. Or early, the sun would be up soon.

The light had won the battle, at least for that night.

Reed was a cuddler. He'd wrapped himself around me as his soft breathing filled the room. I loved being held by him, but I had a hard time not twisting and turning. As much as I wanted to stay still, wanted to remain in his arms forever, I found myself unable to fully settle as the minutes ticked by.

I was more relaxed in his arms, but there was no magic cure for the insomnia I'd fought for weeks. While I was closer to achieving that peace than I'd been before, sleep was still just out of reach. The most frustrating part was I certain I could sleep if I would only close my eyes. If I gave up willingly, and was still, I could probably sleep.