Chapter Fifteen: I Owe Him Nothing

"If a man talks shit, then I owe him nothing
I don't regret it one bit, 'cause he had it coming"

- Taylor Swift, "I Did Something Bad"

Chapter Fifteen

"What about you? Any pets?"

I settled on the porch swing again. Sterling opted to lean back against the porch railing; it was hopefully innocent, but I felt the distance it created between us. I could see how his hands were tight on the railing behind him.

His focus was elsewhere when he answered. "No. I travel too much on assignments."

"Would you get one if you could?"

"I can't," he said shortly. "That's all that matters."

Boom, there's the wall again. Is this what I sound like to others? All about my job all the time? Unable to talk about anything else? God, Kennedy is a saint for putting up with this.

"That wasn't the question. I asked if you would, not if you could," I prodded. I tried to make it sound light, teasing. I was always too serious for my own good.

Sterling's eyes finally turned to me. Immediately, I could see the familiar steely gaze had returned. Those beautiful green eyes were calculating and defensive again, making me ache for the little bit of sunshine that had now leached out.

"You're asking the wrong questions. We should be talking about what's important."

Ouch.

"What would be a 'right' question, then?" I asked.

"Questions about the case," Sterling answered impatiently. "Or you could ask what happens next."

My brows raised. "Do you have an answer to that question? I wasn't aware there was a plan. Go on then, since that's the only question that matters."

Something had shifted with him. He was now spinning out subtle frustration; his behavior was cagey and unwarranted. The underlying currents in his tone tugged at my feet, bristled my defenses, and raked my nerves.

"I know what happens next requires your cooperation." He bit out the word cooperation like it burned his mouth to say it.  My own temper flared at the barely concealed accusation.

"And you have it. You've had my cooperation this whole time," I stated. "Even when you doubted me and my loyalty."

Sterling faltered, yet he recovered quickly. "My job is to keep you safe. Your job is to help me do that. Your cooperation with the safety protocols is the only way we all walk out of this."

I hadn't expected Sterling to be so easily cornered with simple questions. I had experience with prideful, arrogant men that were easily triggered, but I certainly hadn't pinned the usually calm man in front of me to be one of them. I wasn't sure what I'd said to cause such a dramatic shift. However, I wasn't intimidated. Not after my talk with myself that morning. Gone was the girl from the past week that'd let others tell her what to do, what to ask, how to feel. In her place was the woman who wouldn't allow herself to be doubted by a Navy SEAL-wannabe with trust issues. I wasn't apologetic—I was defensive.

"Where is this coming from? I haven't once fought you on anything to do with my safety. I'm in a safehouse, miles away from anyone I know, with no way to call for help. At this point, all I can do is hope no one slits my throat in my sleep. What safety protocol have I not followed? Is there a safety protocol against asking you a question about yourself? Did I cross some unspoken line?"

I held up my hands in surrender. "I didn't realize there was a 'what to do when you're expecting to run from stalkers' handbook."

"You don't need to know anything about me."