Chapter Fourteen: Barking Up the Wrong Tree

"I'm saying, come over here sit next to me
We can see where things go naturally
Just say the word and I'll part the sea
Just come over here and sit next to me"

- Foster The People, "Sit Next to Me"

Chapter Fourteen

After feeding Rolo and giving myself the 'I am woman' pep talk, I was ready to face the day.

Creaking the door open, I peeked down the hallway. It was quiet. All of the doors on the second floor were closed. At this hour, I wouldn't have been surprised if Sterling was still sleeping. So, trying to walk as quietly as possible, I padded down the stairs with Rolo thundering behind me.

Real smooth, Rolo. Over a hundred pounds of grace, my dog.

I headed to the front door, but paused before my hand reached the handle. My eyes landed on the security pad. I didn't know if it was armed. I needed to ask Sterling what the code was, but I wasn't sure if he'd actually give it to me.

Am I supposed to wait to take Rolo out every morning? Should I wake him up?

My moment of contemplation was interrupted by the door opening, causing me to jump back, startled.

Sterling was pulling his phone away as he swung the door in. His face drew into surprise when he saw me; I'd jumped out of the way of the door but was still too close for social standards as I hovered near him. We were closer than I'd meant to be. I stepped back nervously, feeling too much like a teenager caught trying to sneak out.

"I needed to let Rolo out. I wasn't sure if you were sleeping," I blurted. Rolo pushed past Sterling's legs, trotting to the front yard.

Sterling nodded. His eyes followed Rolo. "I'm usually up pretty early, but you can always wake me if you need to."

He glanced at his watch as he stepped into the house. His proximity caused me to take another step back just as he stepped sideways. A glint of humor shined in his eyes as he gestured to the door.

This is like middle schoolers trying to learn the two-step.

"Are you going out?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I am," I stammered. I hurried out, closing the door behind me.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I being so awkward?

I settled on the porch swing. I made sure to keep a close eye on Rolo; he was trained to be off leash and had excellent recall, but I wanted to make sure he didn't terrorize the squirrels too much. I probably didn't need to worry about it. I doubted he'd go too far. He was a huge mama's boy.

Besides, Rolo had always been so finely tuned to my emotions; I wouldn't be surprised if he was underfoot for a while.

It was scenic outside. I could hear birds in the trees and squirrels chittering and barking back at Rolo. The tiniest sliver of warm morning sun fell on the porch, defying the shade from the house. I could tell it'd be a hot, sticky day, but for now, it was warm and bright. Everything was fresh and full of possibilities. The sleepy daze of summer hadn't set in yet.

It was the type of morning only found in places like that. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been in nature — and I certainly couldn't remember the last time I'd looked at a picturesque corner of forest from a quiet porch swing.

I had noise traffic instead of birds, concrete skyscrapers instead of trees, and pavement instead of grass. If I ever get to D.C., I'm glad I got out of the city for a little bit.

I was finding the silver lining even if it killed me. Which it might.

The door opened again, revealing Sterling with two coffee cups grasped in his hands.