4 : the new family pt. II

Victoria's POV

As we approached the front door, a maid opened it to reveal a stunning interior. The house was even more breathtaking inside, with polished oak floors and pristine white walls. Everything was modernized and tastefully decorated, a stark contrast to the chaos of my own home. The maid led us to the formal living room where the Romano family awaited our arrival.

Carlos, the patriarch, had a commanding presence that made me feel uneasy. He looked like he could kill you with a single glare. His son was undeniably attractive, with deep brown eyes that mirrored his father's. The daughter-in-law, Isabella, had a sharp, almost bitchy demeanor, while the mother appeared chirpy and innocent, a facade that felt all too familiar.

“Roberto,” Carlos greeted my father with a smile, moving in for a handshake. Their exchange was cordial but lacked warmth, and I caught a whisper between them that felt conspiratorial.

“You must be the beautiful Victoria that your father has been hiding,” Carlos said, turning his attention to me. He stepped closer, taking my hand and kissing the ring on my finger while locking eyes with me.

It felt odd, almost like a scene from a movie.

“No, he didn’t hide me. He just didn’t know where I was,” I replied with a laugh, trying to diffuse the awkwardness.

“Let me introduce you to my family,” he said, gesturing toward the others. “This is Laura, my wife; Danté, my oldest son; and Isabella, Danté’s wife.”

“My youngest son is running a bit late,” he added casually.

“Hello,” I smiled at them, receiving polite smiles in return.

This was going to be a long night, wasn’t it?

“Can I get you something to drink while we wait for my son? Coffee, wine, or whiskey?” Carlos offered.

Why weren’t they offering tequila or vodka?

“Nothing for me,” I said, politely declining. I was all too aware of how alcohol could lead to trouble, especially in this environment.

“Come with me, sweetie,” Laura said, rising from her seat. I followed her into the kitchen, where everyone else had vacated, leaving us alone in the stunning white marble space.

She walked around the kitchen island and pulled out a bottle of tequila, pouring me two shots back-to-back. “This is going to be a long night, sweetie, so take this,” she insisted, taking one for herself.

“Thank you,” I laughed, feeling a bit more relaxed.

“We are going to be good friends,” she said, hiding the bottle away again.

Taking my hand, we returned to the living room, where the rest of the family had settled back in. To my surprise, there was a familiar face among them—the Greek god from the club.

“Victoria, this is my son, Devonté,” Carlos announced, introducing me to him.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, smiling at him while pretending not to recognize him from that chaotic night.

I took a seat next to my father, grateful to be distracted from the business talk between him and Carlos. Just as I was settling in, the maid re-entered the room.

“Mr. Romano, dinner is ready to be served,” she announced.

“Shall we?” Carlos asked, leading the way to the dining room.

As we entered, I was blown away. It was everything you’d see in an interior design magazine—elegant and luxurious. The dining table was set impeccably, ready for a feast.