Chapter 2.

I sit cross-legged on my bed. My phone in front of me as I await Pete's call, which he does and has done since we got our first ever phones. I remained his only contact for 3 years.

Then we met Ned, and it became a whole thing. Stupid chairman. I tap my fingers on my legs before picking up my phone. I go to contacts and call Peter instead, maybe he just forgot.

He's been busy with this whole 'Spider-Man's a villain' thing. It rings two times before I'm shown his voicemail. Two times. He declined my call. Holy shit. I sigh and call Ned instead. I'll just speak to the dorky boy instead.

"Hello? Mary why are you calling at... twelve in the morning?" I shrug like he can see it.

"Why're you answering at like twelve in the morning?" I cheekily shoot back before actually answering,

I was supposed to do my call with Peter, but he never called or answered." He sighs, and I hear sheets ruffling.

"He's just probably sucking faces with MJ." I laugh and fall back in my bed.

"Probably..." I hear him sigh again, probably realizing my lack of liking him dearly.

"You shouldn't worry like this, you're practically Peter's sister. Not like he's gonna abandon you." I nod and chew on my tongue.

"Yeah, I know anyway goodnight, Dork." He repeats my goodnight and hangs up. I scroll through my apps until I land on Instagram. I open it and go to Peters. I scroll around his photos and find some of him and MJ.

I didn't like Peter romantically at all, it's just the fact I've been the only girl his age close in his life, I've never had to find middle ground with the girlfriend of my best friend. From what I hear from some other friends of mine, they all got ditched by their friends for girlfriends or boyfriends.

It was like an unwritten rule: 'Shall your best friend get a partner you're no longer needed.'

It felt entirely too much to handle. It was just me and him for the first 14 years of our life. He met Ned when we started high school. I was fine with it, I mean I'm not gonna pick and choose who he befriends.

But once Ned came into the show I was pushed off to the back burning for a while during freshman year and some of sophomore year.

And now with MJ as his girlfriend who knows what's gonna become of me. What if she doesn't like me and makes him choose? He'll choose her no doubt, I mean he's been head over heels for her for years.

As long as he's happy, I'll happily back off. MJ's a nice girl—we used to talk in Sophomore year during lunch whenever Ned and Peter were being nerds in the back of the cafeteria.

#

I yawn skipping down the sidewalk, my hand stops mid fall as I stare at the crowd around the entrance of the school.

"What the..." I stop walking and furrow my brows.

"The crowd here has continued to grow all morning long at this midtown school of science." I blink a few times at a blonde reporter before my arms grabbed by a hand and I'm pulled into the crowd of strangers. I peer up at the suspect and see Ned as he drags me.

"What's happening?" I ask with a scrunched face,

He looks down at me as he releases my arm, "They're here for Peter."

I groan, grouchy at the fact that it was so early and loud.

"MJ! MJ! We love you! MJ, are you gonna have his Spider-babies?" I snort as a dark skinned man with dreads holds his shirt open with her face on it yells her name.