Chapter One: Fresh Start

My eyes groggily began to open, the morning light filtering in through my half open curtains. It was only seven-thirty in the morning and it was already light outside. I let out a loud yawn and pulled my arms over my head to stretch out my still half-asleep body. I did not want to leave the warmth of my own bed, but I knew that I had to. It was the first day of school and I did not want to be late.

I wiped the remaining sleep out of my eyes and crawled out of bed.

"Breakfast!" I heard my mom shout from downstairs.

If food was not a good enough reason to get out of bed I did not know what else was.

I walked over to my closet and grabbed a few clothes for the day that I had picked out yesterday. I was not a morning person, so I did everything I could to avoid waking up any earlier than I had to.

I pulled my hair out of the pony-tail that I slept in and ran my fingers through the soft strands. I showered last night so I did not have to this morning. Like I said, I was not a morning person.

I quickly got dressed and let out a heavy sigh. I was not ready to start a whole new life at a completely different school. It was the final year and everyone there probably already knew each other and had their own groups.

However, I did not have much of a choice. My mom had gotten a new job offer here and it was too good to turn down. She would be making almost double what she made back home. I knew that finances were always a stressor for her, since it was only her taking care of my brother and I.

"Coming!" My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of thudding footsteps hammering down the stairs.

My brother.

He was only a year younger than me and still a complete pain in the as$. I guess we have not reached the stage where we became somewhat friends. He would still rat me out for a potato chip if he could.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror before heading downstairs.

The smells of freshly cooked food hit my senses as soon as I stepped into the kitchen. I glanced over and noticed that my brother was already seated down and wolfing down the food like it was going to disappear.

My mom's back was turned as she started to do some dishes, her bathroom hung loosely around her frail body and she still had her hair up in a bun.

I smiled warmly and walked over to the kitchen table.

"Good morning, sweetheart." She said with a small turn of her head. "You look pretty." She complimented as she went back to cleaning.

I pulled out the chair and sat down in front of my brother who had not even noticed me walk in as he was too busy eating.

"Thank you, and thank you for making breakfast." I said as I picked up a piece of bacon and pancake with my fork and placed it onto my plate.

"I think she looks average." James, my brother finally noticed that I had sat down in front of him.

I scrunched up my face at him and took a sip of my apple juice. Fuck!ng brat. I shovelled a mouthful of food and chewed it obnoxiously at him. His smug face never faltered as he continued to eat.

"Thats enough." Mom turned around and glared at James.

I flipped him off and watched as his face twisted up and he opened his mouth at me, displaying his half chewed food. I flinched back in disgust and looked away from him. Like I said, he is a fuck!ng brat.

"Who are you slutting it up for?" James said again, his brown eyes piercing mine as he pushed back his brown hair from his forehead. He pointed his fork at me and raised an eyebrow.