10. Homecoming

Pairing: Gwyn/T.K. (F/M) hand

*Plot created by Elenalovly. Huge thanks as always.

Carlos Reyes and T.K. Strand's Apartment

Austin, Texas

An Hour Later

"Oh, I do like a man in uniform," T.K. said brightly as he admired Carlos in his Austin Police Department uniform. It was neatly pressed and Carlos looked like he stepped out of a magazine.

"So do I," Carlos grinned back. "How's your backside? Did it recover from my mom's chancla yet?"

T.K. smoothed his hands over his own uniform and winced a bit.

"It's better. But I think my dad was serious about me minding my step today. Wish me luck," T.K. said lightly.

"Luck," Carlos said.

A few minutes later, Carlos dropped T.K. off at the Fire House of the 126 Engine. T.K. was careful to be respectful and pay attention to his father and captain's directions. They had just rescued a woman from a plane engine. T.K. was hungry since he hadn't had a chance to eat since breakfast.

Marjan called to T.K. as he headed to the dressing room, "Hey, almost time to eat!"

T.K. responded, "Okay. Just let me change out of my gear." He walked into the kitchen wearing his Austin Fire Department t-shirt.

"Mom?" T.K. burst out. "This is a nice surprise!"

Gwyn was sitting at the table chatting with Paul, Marjan, Mateo, Judd, and Owen.

"I bet," Gwyn laughed. "I wanted to surprise you, honey."

"This is great," T.K. said. He went over and kissed his mother.

Owen grinned at his son's happiness. "Welcome, Gwyn! We are delighted to have you here with us. Okay, this is a new pasta dish. Everyone, please eat. And then be honest about it."

Marjan put on the new Harry Styles' album that came out earlier in the week. She turned the sound up every time Mateo and Judd complained until Owen had to tell her to dial it back a few notches.

"Fine, Cap," Marjan purred. "But I know they will really start to dig soon. The pasta is good. No cap."

"Cap, that I would ever like this music. Cap says I have better taste. Right, Judd," Mateo proclaimed.

Judd laughed. "Oh, I don't know about all that. But I agree with Marjan. This pasta is da bomb!"

"Da bomb!" Mateo howled. "Judd, just stop, man!"

"Hey, I'm cool, too. Wyatt is teaching me some new slang," Judd went on.

T.K. finished his plate and caught his mom's eye. She pointed to the hallway. Uh-oh, this wasn't good, T.K. realized.

Gwyn hugged T.K. again tightly and then clasped his face in front of her.

"What's wrong, Mom?" T.K. asked nervously.

Gwyn gave him a firm look. "I've heard that you have been a real brat lately. Not only did someone else have to spank you, but you got it twice?" Gwyn demanded, her voice rises. T.K. glanced at the table to see if anyone had overheard his scolding. No one was paying attention.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I've just had a rough week. It won't happen again," T.K. attempted. "Please don't be mad at me!"

Gwyn eyes softened, "Honey, I love you more than anything. You know that. But I cannot excuse this kind of behavior. And you know the rules..."