Chapter four.

'You really should have stayed back at the diner you know'

She opened her eyes to look at him, his words quiet. Did he think she was some damsel in distress that needed protection? She was grateful they had saved her life and wanted to return the favour by helping out.

Did he not realise she had nothing left to lose? She should have died there in the desert with her friends but she was left alive and she would go down fighting if need be.

'Was never going to happen Poison, four days of being in that room is all the protection I can handle.' She laughed.

'Its just after last night, I thought you might have needed more time. The flashbacks can be rough and you never know when they will kick in' He said still not looking at her

She blushed remembering laying on his chest last night, the warmth of his body against hers. Maybe a little protection wasn't all bad she thought watching him. His red hair blowing in the wind, his hazel green eyes sparkling in the sunlight through his yellow mask. He had a chisled jaw that contrasted with his rounder face and his mouth did this thing of going to one side when he spoke. She could get used to this view.

' what?' He laughed catching her out staring at him.

'Nothing, just admiring the view' she smiled and turned back to look out of her window again.

Reaching zone two they drove towards some sand dunes thinking that could be a good spot to stop and dump the car. They pulled up and waited for the trans am to turn around so it was facing away from the car and at a safe distance, ready to drive away quickly.

Both her and Poison jumped from the car scoping the surroundings out, checking for any sign of scarecrow or dracs. They needed to make sure the coast was clear before any explosions. Being this close to the city walls was very dangerous and was often full of patrols, looking for killjoys trying to break into the city for supplies. Often it was the only way for them to get food, batteries and fuel and operations breaking in happened daily between all the killljoy crews living in the desert.

They both walked around to the back of the car content knowing the coast was clear. He brought himself close to her and held both her arms, she ignored the pain from her shoulder this was not the time to be thinking of that.

'Get in the car with the guys quickly, I'll be right behind you. We will need to be quick as I'll roll the grenade under the car.' He told her urgently.

She nodded with understanding and started running towards the trans am. They would need to move quick to get away from the blast and they were still exposed out here in the open even with no one in sight.

Flinging open the car door she glanced at him and nodded to say now and jumped in the back with Kobra. Kobra had a very nervous look on his face and was biting his lip, she could tell he got more anxious in these situations than the others. Ghoul and Jet were in the front looking back smiling excitedly anticipating the blast.

'This is going to be awesome, I wonder how many pieces it will be blown into?' Ghoul said his excitement bubbling, bouncing up and down in the drivers seat.

'Shit I hope we are far enough away those grenade really blow!' Jet exclaimed watching out the back window.

She turned to the back window and watched eagerly as Poison rolled the grenade under the dracs car and ran. With just seconds to spare he was jumping in the back seat and they were speeding away, tires squealing loudly and dust thrown high into the air. He barely got the door closed in time, turning instantly to watch out of the back window.

The blast sent the white car flying up into the air before crashing loudly back on the ground in flames.

The sound of the explsoion made her duck her head down into his chest and cover her ears. She glanced back up at his face and he was still looking out the back window smiling excitedly. Looking out herself she saw the BL/ind car broken apart with flames rising high into the sky.

Good let them burn she thought to herself, they deserved it after all the pain they have caused to not only the killjoys but the people of battery city. Purposely forgetting the faces behind the masks of the once decent people now drugged and brainwashed by the corporation. They removed all emotions and creativity until they were just shells of humans, killing killjoys was now their only thoughts. Once the mask was on you were done for.

Ghoul and Jet were whooping in the front seats, bouncing up and down and Kobra was laughing along with them. His worry had left his face now and was caught up in the excitement of his friends. They all looked so young when they smiled, actual joy on their faces. Maybe she would stick around and find a home with these guys. She had warmed to them a lot today and felt like she could fit in with them. She had no where else to be. Her old base wouldn't be safe now and would be uncomfortably empty without her friends.

An arm went around her shoulders, breaking her from her thoughts, and she turned to look back at party poison. He was smiling down at her.

'Now that was fun! We should do it again some time' He laughed and pulled her closer so the back of her head was resting against his shoulder. She inhaled smelling his coffee and sunshine scent, smiling she placed her hand on his thigh and relaxed back onto him.

This had been the most fun she'd had for a very long time.