Chapter one.

She could feel the hot desert sunshine on her face, but she didn't have the energy to open her eyes. It felt good compared to the searing pain of her shoulder. Surely she wasn't still in the desert, she could tell she was now lying on her back but everything on her body felt so heavy and hard to move. She didn't want to die out here in the heat, what if the dracs were still there?

She opened her heavy eyelids slowly and realised she was in a room. What the hell she thought. Confused she sat up ignoring the pain from her shoulder and glanced around, it looked lived in with items and furniture placed around.

The walls of the room were covered in brightly coloured paintings, each telling a story of battles won. The same four guys appeared in every one. Where the hell was she?

Looking down she was still wearing her bloodstained jeans but she was now wearing a strange red tshirt and her boots were on the floor next to the bed. She noticed her raygun on the table next to her and grabbed it quickly. If she had been captured they wouldn't have kept her gun with her would they? Of course not she thought, if she had been captured she would be dead. So where the hell was she and who had brought her here?

Confusion running around her head and the pain of her shoulder becoming overwhelming again she slumped back down into darkness as she passed out.

Her eyes snapped open, hearing a voice from across the room. How long had she been passed out this time? She was still in the same room as before but this time she wasn't alone. Sitting up slowly and quietly she reached for her raygun and pointed it forward.

Standing in front of her was a man with hair as red as the poppies that used to grow in the fields before the great fires. He was wearing a dark blue leather jacket and staring at her in shock, his mouth open wide.

'Holy shit your awake!' He said too loudly for her fuzzy head.

' Who the fuck are you and why am I here?' She shouted at him. Each word hurting her head more than the last.

She lowered the gun and clutched her head in agony. So much pain what the hell is happening to me? She felt a stong hand taking the gun from her and placing it back on the table. Turning to look at him she could see he has hazel green eyes, and there was sadness In those eyes.

'Hey now, calm it down your still recovering from that shoulder injury. We have worked too hard patching you up for you to ruin it now.' He said while frowning at her.

He was making her feel like a kid who was acting up. Who the hell did he think he was!

'Who are you and where am I?' Her words coming out stern and annoyed this time.

He sighed and sat down on the bed next to her. He smelled like the warm desert, fresh cofee and cheap leather.

'Ok ok, so we were patrolling a few days ago in zone 2 and came across a ton of dracs driving away. As we got closer we notice four of you on the ground. You were the only one still breathing so we brought you back here to help you.'

He spoke gently and paused to let the information sink in before carrying on.

'Unfortunately your friends didn't make it, but we stitched you up and, well we've just been waiting to see if you would wake up.'

The tears rolled silently down her face, you were the only one left. It felt like a failure to them, she should have protected them better and not patrolled until they had more back up.

Before she could realise what was happening the red heads arms slipped around her pulling her in for an embrace.

'GET off me, I don't need your pity.' She spat out while shrugging him off. It wasn't his fault but the rage at her friends deaths was all consuming. He pulled back his arms with a hurt expression on his face and started to speak again.

'Look I didn't mean anything by it, just I know what it's like to lose people'

None of this felt real. She promised to herself in that moment she would bring down BL/ind if it was the last thing she did. Enough was enough.