Chapter 17- Race

*Nathan's POV*

I was sitting outside the palace, waiting for Alexa. She had told me that it would take some time, but I decided to wait for her anyway, because I couldn't take the risk.

"Nathan!" Alexa shouted, grinning. She came running toward me.

"So, how'd it go?" I asked.

"It was great!" she said "It was a lot of fun!"

"That's nice."

"Yeah, he told me all about Ansley and her son and-"

"What?" I asked, quickly "What did he say?"

Alexa looked confused

"He just told me that they were all fine and happy until they disappeared...he said no one knows why they disappeared, or how, and they searched everywhere."

I hummed and kept listening to her.

"He said that he misses them a lot..." she said.

I looked down at the floor. I never really thought about how it could have impacted my uncle.

"You okay?" she asked me

"Yeah, I'm- I'm great."

"Shoot!" she said, looking annoyed "I didn't even ask the name of Ansley's son!"

I quickly looked at her.

"Uh- well," I stammered "I- I don't think he'd remember. Been a long time."

"There's no harm in trying."

"Maybe you shouldn't ask," I said desperately "He might feel bad, you know."

She hummed and nodded. Why didn't I think of this? She'll certainly find out about me, now.

"Hey," I looked at her "You should go home now."

"Hmm...you're right." She hummed.

"Wanna...race tothe portal?" I smiled at her.

"Yes!" She beamed.

We both ran. Since I was taller and had longer legs, I won. We were both out of breath and were holding the side of our stomachs.

"That...isn't...fair," Alexa said, gasping for air "You...have...longer...legs."

"You're-being-a-sore-loser-" I said, also gasping for air.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

We stared at each other for a second and burst out laughing.

God I missed this.

"So," I asked "You'll come tomorrow?"

"Yep!"

"Alright then," I smiled "Good night!"

"Night, bud." She smiled back and crawled through the portal.

I wanted to tell her so badly not to come.

*Flashback*

I went and lay on my bed. And then I heard my door creak open.

I saw Mom- The Voice- standing at the foot of my bed.

"Y-Yes?" I asked.

"I need to take some...precautions," she said, in a fake sweet voice "To make sure the plan goes smoothly."

"What do you mea-"

But before I could finish my sentence, she muttered something really fast, and my vision went all purple, and then I passed out.

*End of flashback*

I screwed up.

*AN* Hey, guys! I hope you gorgeous being are doing well. I'm really sorry I haven't been updating regularly but I've been working on two other stories on the side, which I'm gonna try to publish soon! In the meanwhile, take care :D