Chapter 33: Sklergons

So as much as it's adorable you're willing to pay the workers, you really have to leave all of that to me, since we're not going to need to pay anyone."

"I'm still confused as to how that's not slavery," Sam states as he opens the car door and looks at you before getting out. You groan and do the same, hanging on his car with an annoyed expression on your face.

"Their only purpose is to fulfil one goal. After they've fulfilled it, they die. Sklergons don't want to live, that's their whole point. So, in order to die, they work. We just put them in this world to do that work so that they can die afterwards. Sound familiar? Because it's literally how the world works, except we get paid in money. They get paid in death."

"That's not a reward, though," Sam continues to argue, walking around the car to stand next to you, while he continues to question your morality. You simply shrug.

"It is to them. They see death as a good thing." Sam seems to doubt your words, but he simply lets out a sigh, announcing his decision to stop this discussion before it's going to cost him his life. You grin at your victory. Veni, vidi, vici, as Caesar once said.

And while Sam is walking to the door and unlocking it, you allow yourself to look around after having grabbed your bag out of the back of the car. It's quite a wealthy neighbourhood your friend lives in, not too far away from the company building, since you already see it towering over all of the other houses, along with the other towers.

But once your eyes have looked around properly, you catch someone looking at you. Yes, right at you. And once you've finally found out who it is, you feel confusion hit you even more. "Sapnap?" you ask mumbling and you cross the road to talk to him. "Sapnap? You don't live around here, do you?"

"Well, no, but what are you doing here? I didn't know you were close with Sam." Is that a bit of jealousy you can hear in his voice? You put your hands on your hips and raise your eyebrow.

"We're making a playground in his basement."

"Sorry, what now?"

"Besides, is Sappy Nappy jealous of Sammy because he hasn't been spending as much time with me? If you want to become my taxi driver, you just have to say so, sweetheart. The more volunteers, the better!" As soon as you say 'volunteers', you smile and shout to Sam. "Hey Sam! The Sklergons aren't slaves, they're volunteers! That's the word I was looking for!"

"Skler-what now?" Sapnap squeaks, being extremely slow with processing what you're talking about, which results in only another sigh from you.

"Sklergons. It's a long and complicated story for which I don't have the patience. But uh, it's good to see you here! We should definitely meet up sometime again, what do ya say?"

"We can go to the restaurant after you're done with work or something," Sapnap suggests as he awkwardly scratches the back of his neck, trying to avoid your eyes. "You know, Karl and I are going already anyway, so we might as well invite you."

"You want me on your date?"

"Why not? I mean, Wilbur went with us on ours, so I don't see the problem, really." You remain silent for a moment. Although it sounds like something that would be incredibly uncomfortable, you have nothing better to do this evening anyway. So, you shrug.

"Fine. But only if Karl is 100% okay with it. If he isn't, I'm going to chill with Sherlock at home."

"Great! I'll pick you up after you're done with work, then. See ya!' With a happy smile on his face, Sapnap waves at you and walks away, which leaves you returning to Sam as well. Sam just stands there at the front door with his head tilted, his hand on the head of an animal that's standing next to him. It's a dog. As soon as you see the animal, you feel your heart melt. Just because you love cats, doesn't mean you don't like dogs, right?