"Killing sprees on bad people, drug dealers and shit." He explains.

That wasn't what I was worried about, I don't doubt for a second that he would harm someone innocent. What worries me is how much pain I caused him. More guilt twists inside me and has tears pooling inside of my eyes. Maybe leaving him wasn't good for either of us.

"Is he...okay, though? Physically, I mean?" I ask. We run up a set of widely winding stairs and end up in the hallway that led to where Ezra's dad was held before he died. The familiar carpets make anxiety peak in my stomach.

My heart hammers in my chest, diverse scenarios of what's about to happen, flashing through my head. What kind of injuries does he have? Broken bones? Probably.

"He broke his wrist." Matteo explains as if he read my mind. "Other than that, he had a few marks on his face from the glass shattering."

I nod and take a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves as I walk alongside Matteo, who's stride is about two of mine.

"Hey, don't worry." He gives me a small smile and I wipe away the tear that slid down my cheek.

He stops at a fancy wooden door and pushes it open. I peek inside and my heart drops. I step inside and rake my eyes over him, tears pool in my eyes again.

He's laying down on a huge bed, unconscious. I walk up to him. His face is bruised, streaks of red littering his face, a gash on his cheekbone, his nose and his bottom lip. His eyes are closed and his face seems calm and serene, his hair is messier than usual. He's wearing a white tank top and grey shorts, his arms are limp at his sides and his left wrist incased by a cast.

I reach down and gently brush his hair away from his face, then I run my thumb over the dark circle under his eye.

"See? Not so bad." Matteo says, standing near me.

"Hm." I whimper, unsure. I gently run my fingers through his hair and swallow back a sob. He used to ask me to do that and he would fall asleep when I did so.

"I'll leave you alone with him. Call me if you need me. Also, the doctors might come check on him in a little so don't get too wild." He winks at me.

"I'm not a necrophiliac." I roll my eyes at him and he chuckles, leaving me alone with Ezra.

I look around the room, ignoring the unusual luxurious setup, and grab the nearest chair, moving it until it's beside him.

"Ezra..." I say softly, gently placing my hand over his. The silence around us is thick, it makes me feel lonely even though he's laying right in front of me.

"I'm sorry for leaving...I didn't expect it to come to this. I won't leave you again, I promise. If you decide to leave me...I'll be upset and might just hunt you down to chop your toes off. I'm kidding." I observe his facial expressions and notice that, for a second, his eyebrows move towards each other ever so slightly.

"Ezra?" I sit up straighter. "Ezra, can you hear me?"

Everything in the room stills as I wait for a response, my breathing speeding up, hope hanging in the air.

I put my hand in his completely.

"Squeeze my hand if you can hear me, Ezra." I say.

I wait, the anticipation growing with each passing second. I wait for about two minutes, before sighing and letting my head fall on to the bed.

What are the chances of him waking up right now? Probably one out of a hundred. If he were to wake up, it would feel like one of those Hallmark movies.

"Please, wake up..." I whisper. "I miss you."

I'm hanging on to the warmth of his hand when I feel the twitch of his finger.

My head jolts up and I stare at him, noticing a crease between his eyebrows.

"Ezra?" I ask, leaning closer.

Suddenly his eyes flutter open.

word count: 1258
☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎☂︎︎

you guyssssss over 500 reads!!

y'all I somehow managed to burn popcorn even after following the instructions. It tasted like absolute dog shit.

Live for the small things, even if it's burnt popcorn🫶

The laws of physics don't apply to me when I play volleyball.

anywhoo

stay safe<3
-S