Chapter XLIV

RULES, RULES, RULES.

The sky overhead had started to turn orange when they reached the outskirts of the small town. Ranbir was fast asleep with his head on Prachi's shoulder while she tenderly stroked his arm, smiling at the familiar path and places. Indeed it was true that she was coming here about two and a half years later, but you can never forget the way to your home.

Aryan drove carefully, trying his best to memorize the way. His concentration broke as something soft caressed his hand. He turned to look down to see Shahana's dupatta covering his left hand that rested on the gear stick. Softly tickling his skin by the intricate lace on the hem. A smile unknowingly spread on his lips. 

He was going where Shahana had spent her entire childhood. Most of her life had been spent here. This place is what made her 'Shahana', his 'sutli bomb'. Ready to blow up anywhere, anytime. And he looked forward to getting to know that place.

Shahana too relished the nostalgic feeling, but her heart didn't hum the way Prachi's was. It flowed with different emotions and the only prominent and distinguishable being hopefulness. Hope that maybe this time she will get the closure she sought. The last closure and that maybe she would be able to cut all ties and finally let herself ahead.

"Umm listen, I have to say something important" Prachi's voice emitted, peering everyone away from their individual thoughts.

"Ranbir," She softly tapped the boy's cheek to wake him up. "Ranbir.."

"He is having the best sleep of his life, Prachi." Shahana teased, "He isn't going to wake up this easily."

"Shut up, you speak anything without even giving it a second of thought." Prachi chided, trying her best to ignore the heat that rose to her face.

"Arey, it isn't that she lied or anything," Aryan supported Shahana, making Prachi roll her eyes while the younger girl grinned.

"Ranbir!" Prachi said loudly, but it only caused him to shuffle a bit and snuggle more into Prachi's shoulder, making her cheeks seem on fire.

"Stop sniggering!" she snapped at the other two who were having a hard time holding their laugh in.

"Urgh!" Prachi groaned before angrily pushing Ranbir's head off her shoulder in hopes of waking him up but he, in turn, just slipped onto her lap, still sound asleep.

That was all it took for both Aryan and Shahana to burst out laughing, much to Prachi's dismay.

"Wait, wait," Shahana said in between her fit, taking a deep breath to control her laughter, "wait," She moved around in her seat to face the romantic couple.

"Prachi, you really want to wake him?" Shahana asked in an awed voice, resting her chin over the back of her hand, "He looks so peaceful."

"Are you going to wake him up or should I?" Prachi squeaked, the color never leaving her skin.

"I am, I am," Shahana assured, clearing her throat.

"Prachi," She started loudly, hoping to cut into Ranbir's subconscious. "What are you going to wear to your wedding with Aarav?"

"NO SUCH WEDDING IS HAPPENING!" Ranbir bolted upright, scaring the living soul out of Prachi and making her jolt.

"Why did you scream? Baklu!"

"You are not gonna marry him!" Ranbir caught Prachi's hands pleadingly in his, his eyes boring into hers, "You... you are not going to marry anyone but me! You can not do this to me. I'm telling you Prachi, if you ever so thought about leaving me, I WILL kidnap you for real."