Chapter XII

ALONE?

Ranbir's mind was wandering off to the incidents of the very day. Smiling to himself. How Prachi was looking in that grey dress of her. How shocked she looked when she had seen him and realized that they had presented the shagun in pair. How she had placed her hand over the flame to prevent the holy cloth from burning. Hurting herself in the process. That made him frown a bit.

Who the hell burn their hand to save a lifeless thing? Who loose their mind and put their hand over a flame for a chunri? He fumed internally.

Prachi, of course. His heart squeaked.

The smile was back. Of course Prachi, only she do these kind of stuff. Isn't that what set her apart from the numerous girls that throw themselves at him.

He looked in side view mirror to make sure that Aarav's car was following his. Driving was the only thing that kept him from rushing back and scold her for being so reckless. Or knocking some sense into Rhea for her brainless antics. He knew that she was selfish, a lot. But seriously, her own twin sister was hurt and she was set on presenting shagun. He took a long breadth, both of his urges will do nothing good instead of complicating everything even more.

So Ranbir chose to focus on the road. Better not to anger Prachi more than she probably already was due to the surprise entrance of Panditji.

He again took a long breadth. It doesn't seem so bad. What if he anger her and she scolded him? She would at least talk to him. He could listen to her lectures for his entire life if it meant she would talk to him. His features lit up, only to fall again. She would not even scold him. He knew her.

He glanced back at the car following them and frowned. He was met with a sight that sent a dagger through his already wounded heart. Aarav was laughing at something, even Prachi was seeming to be shaking at something. Laughing freely. Laughing like he hadn't seen her laugh from ages. His frown deepened. A pang of jealousy hit his heart. Prachi was laughing with Aarav but not even talking to him. Really?

But a part of his heart felt good to see her laugh. After a long time she was happy, and he was grateful of Aarav for making her happy. Seeing her laugh sent a wave of calm through him and he again focused on the road again.

~*~

They had reached the home, safe and sound. Ranbir, Aryan and Shahana were first to reach closely followed by Abhi, Pragya, Purab, Mitali and a really sullen looking Rhea. Ranbir's calmness vanished when he saw the look, or rather glare, Rhea was sending his way. He returned the glare with an ice cold look of his own. They moved towards the living room and seated themselves on the couches when Vikram's car pulled up and Pallavi, dida and Dasi entered the living room.

Ranbir was getting restless by each passing minute. Prachi, Aarav and Piyush had not reached yet and it was making is nerves go haywire. What was taking them so long?

Aryan sensed his uneasiness and nudged him and gave him a small nod.

"Mami where are Prachi, Aarav and Piyush? As far as I remember, their car was right behind ours." Aryan asked casually.

"They told us that they are bringing some surprise, god knows what it is?" Pragya replied.

Ranbir pursued his lips, rotating his mobile in hand, controlling the urge to call Prachi. He had just unlocked his phone to text Prachi, when he heard a car honking. He looked up to see them entering and his eyes turned dark when he saw Prachi barely controlling her laughter. It wasn't her laughter that turned his mood glum, it was the fact that she was laughing so hard that she was leaning on the boy for support. They had bags in had and they seemed to be laughing at something that Piyush had probably said.