Chapter 18 - Childhood? 1

Shi made her way over to the small wooden table that decorated their living room, it was small enough to fit only around four people, yet it only had two chairs to each side, they never needed more anyways, they always lived alone together. The living room was just as she remembered it, empty, they didn't have the luxury to afford both a living room and a dining room, so they simply fused it into one and used it as such, the room itself didn't even have much in it, just the wooden table and wood chairs, a desk to a side that has some photos on it, and that's about it.

With the small smile still plastered on her face, Shi took a seat at the empty table. It didn't stay empty for long though, her mother soon came out from the kitchen carrying what Shi could only describe as a godly dish. The mere aroma of it made her salivate from the mouth, her eyes following the dishes of food as it was placed on the table, ready to pounce and eat it out. 'This may be fake, but damn do I wish it wasn't.' She thought to herself as the dish was placed on the table, shaking her head afterward as she wondered why she thought this was fake, 'Weird.'

She was just about to grab a slice, but her mother stopped her before she could.

"Now now, don't forget to give your daily thanks for the food." Her mother reminded her. Every time they ate dinner, they would give their daily thanks to Kami for granting them life and granting them food to live, even if they didn't have the best of life, they should be happy to be alive, that's what her mother always told her at least.

"Yes, mom. Thank you Kami for this meal, blessing be upon me." She replied while clasping her hands and bowing her head slightly. It was a short prayer to god, and Shi didn't think Kami even cared about the prayer, but her mother did so she did it anyway.

Once the prayer was finished, she smiled and grabbed a plate, taking a large chunk of the pie for herself. She wasn't just being selfish and greedy here, no, the food tasted very good so she naturally wanted a lot of it, but her mother also didn't eat a lot, which lead to some of the food often remaining behind. Which would be a waste. She was a proud woman who wouldn't let any food go to waste, especially when it came to food like this.

She didn't wait for any longer and started to quickly devour everything. It made her remember back to when she was in the desert, fighting the people, and drinking the blood from the person's necks. 'Wait what, what a weird thought, I've never been to the desert.' She said, shaking her head as she kept eating.

Glancing up, she noticed her mother looking at her with a small smile, making her somewhat embarrassed about her appearance. Giggling nervously, with a hand behind her neck, she spoke, "Mother's food is just sooooo good I couldn't help myself~" She stuck her tongue out, and did a small, 'Tee-hee', to show her playfulness.

A soft laugh escaped her mother's lips as she listened to her child's excuses, but then she simply smiled and spoke, since she didn't mind how her little princess ate, "I'm glad you're enjoying it. So, tell me how was your day today, anything interesting happened?" She spoke out of curiosity. They usually spoke during dinner, as it was one of the only times during the day when Shi could speak with her mother since she was often working, so Shi had no issue with talking and eating.

Shi sat there for a moment before speaking out loud, "Nothing really, it was as boring as always, the kids kept trying to annoy me, but I'm too smart for them to annoy so I simply ignored them. Oh! I also found a really cool looking rock." She replied in a prideful tone as she was talking about being smarter than all the kids, though she still found her lack of friends saddening.

While she was speaking happily about her day, she couldn't help but get the feeling she was forgetting something. But that was just odd, what could a ten-year-old girl possibly be forgetting that was so important? Well, as they always said, if you forgot it, it's not important. 'Whatever, if i can't remember there's nothing i can do about it.' She thought to herself, yet the nagging feeling didn't leave her mind.