Page seven

It's the night before Louis' birthday. Their Christmas tree was neatly decorated on the corner. They've spent the last three days working on that, purposely taking longer so they can enjoy the moments better.

A wine bottle was on the coffee table, two cups filled next to each other as Harry sat on the carpet between Louis' legs. Louis' fingers running through his curls as he prepared to braid them.

A plate full of cookies was next to Louis on the couch, occasionally he would feed Harry one before focusing on his hair again.

He thanked his mum for teaching him to braid when he was younger. Having sisters definitely came in handy for practice.

Harry
(Taking a sip of his wine)
Can you stay up until midnight?

His voice echoed inside the wine glass making Louis chuckle under his breath.

Louis
Sure, why?

Harry leaned his head back, resting it on Louis' thigh.

Harry
Why not?

Louis rolled his eyes and adjusted Harry's head again. His hair was shorter this time, the braids having to be tighter and having to deal with shorter strands but Louis thinks he did alright. They looked like braids... surely.

He let Harry feel the braids, watching him with a smile.

Harry
Thanks Lou.

Louis brushed it off, giving him a quick kiss on his hair as he took ahold of his own wine glass. Harry remained there though, using Louis' thighs as a pillow and reaching a hand up every now and then for a cookie.

Christmas music was playing on the background from the kitchen, candles were lit again. It felt like Christmas and to Louis, Christmas feels like home.

It was already late, they didn't have to wait much for it to be midnight.

Harry stood up, walking over to the window and closing the curtains, it didn't make much difference as the room was dark enough already but Louis understood it was for privacy matters.

He then watched the taller man walk past him, Harry had a smile on his face, a smile that said he's excited for something. Louis smiled at his thoughts, Harry reminds him of a puppy.

Harry came back with a vinyl record in his hands, walking excitedly over to Louis with a grin. Louis put his wine glass down —just in case. And he was glad he did so because in just one second, Harry took ahold of his hand and pulled him towards the kitchen.

Louis
What is that?

Harry looked at him with stars in his eyes, as Louis would describe it.

Harry
(Taking out the Christmas vinyl from the record player as he replaced it with the one he brought)
A gift, from my heart to you.

That's all Harry said, as simple as that. And effective because it had Louis smiling and his cheeks turning pink.

It was midnight by now, Harry played the vinyl before turning to Louis and grabbing him by the shoulders.

Harry
(Whispering against his lips)
Happy birthday, my love.

Instruments played in the background as Harry kissed him so lovingly. Louis deepened the kiss by placing his hands behind Harry's neck, their noses bumping against each other by how close they are.

Louis pulled apart when he heard the singer, wide eyes and opened mouth was Harry's sight. Harry laughed while Louis tried forming words.

Louis
(Looking between the record player and Harry)
Holy shit. That's you!?

Harry nodded repeatedly, bringing Louis into a hug.

Louis
(Letting out a speechless breath)
Hold on—What!

Harry
(Laughing again)
Yes love, it's me. Me singing to you.

Louis tried his best to listen to the lyrics but he was only focusing on how good his boyfriends voice is. How it sounds so nice and homey. He had so many questions but he knew better than to interrupt Harry's singing.

Harry watched him, every emotion written on his face. But a smile never left Louis' face. He was even close to crying.

Harry
(After the song ended)
What do you think?

Louis
(Drying the tears that never fell)
What do I think? I think it's fucking beautiful.

Harry chuckled and kissed Louis again.

Harry
Guess what the name of the song is!

Louis
(Smirking)
Better be my fucking name.

Harry
(Looking away)
No... maybe next time. Guess!

Louis tried multiple song names which Harry kept shaking his head to.

Louis
(Sighing in defeat)
I don't know, what is it?

Harry
(Grinning and clapping his hands)
Grapejuice!

Louis closed his eyes, a smile slowly forming on his lips again.

Harry
— Get it? Because when we first met I accidentally spilled grape juice on you —

Louis
— And you said "oops", like a child.

Harry
Hey!

They both laughed and Harry remembered to play the song again.

Louis
(Taking Harry's hand to his)
Thank you Harry, you mean so much to me and I love how much effort you put into this. I love it. I love you.

Harry
(Smiling)
I love you.

They danced in the kitchen, nobody was there to tell them how awful it was so they enjoyed the moment living a romanticized life while they can.

Harry insisted on Louis opening another birthday present after the song ended again.

The night was once again, full of love and kisses. Hugs and soft touches. A perfect way to start a birthday and Christmas Eve.