4. The Pain

Your blood ran cold. It couldn't be true. It just couldn't be.

You immediately stood up off the sofa, took one last glance at your mother with tears in her eyes and the two officers who'd been unlucky enough to have to deliver the news, then left the house.

"Where are you going?" Detective Powell asked, standing up and following you out of the house.

Your mother was crumbling like you were, she kept complaining to Officer Coulson, begging to see the body and demanding to know who could do such unspeakable things.

You just had a different way of dealing with these things.

"I'm going for some fresh air," You shouted back, "I'll be safe, don't worry."

The detective knew that he couldn't stop you so he simply stood there as you ran into the forest surrounding your house.

The sunlight shone through the trees leaves, making the woodland look magical. Although it was pretty, you didn't give it a second thought.

You only had one thing on your mind, and it wasn't as if it was going to go away any time soon.

You didn't know what to do. All you knew was how much it hurt.

If only you'd waited a couple more minutes, maybe you'd have been able to stop this from ever happening in the first place.

Maybe she had gone home by herself and been kidnapped by this Eddie guy, maybe she had gotten a lift from him for fear of walking home, or maybe she'd just stumbled in the wrong pace at the wrong time.

But you knew that if you were there, if you had waited a second longer, if you'd gone home with her, things could've ended a whole lot differently.

You quickened your pace into a sprint, trying to run away from the pain and your protruding thoughts. But it was no use.

It still hurt as much as it did, if not more, when you got to the trailer park.

The trailer park where it happened.

Your skin was drenched in sweat, making the eerie chill of the wind feel much colder. Your heart was racing, blood pumping through your veins faster than you thought possible.

You made your way towards the one trailer with the tape surrounding it. It must've been where she was killed.

You couldn't express how much hatred you felt for her killer. Eddie Munson. What a psycho.

He had to pay for what he'd done. Who could be that twisted to hurt your sister in that way? It was horrific.

You stood alone on the road. The detectives and crime scene examiners didn't even notice you staring. The only person that did was a girl with ginger hair who looked as if she'd only just woken up.

Max Mayfield