It's Been Arranged

Start from the beginning

I raised an eyebrow and teased, "Are you cuffing me with this?"

"What? No! I just wanted to give you something before I leave. I am serious Nova, I want us to keep in touch," she said. I smiled and took the bracelet out of the box and wore it. I raised my wrist and smiled, "Thank you, P'Mira."

"Aw," she says as she brings me into a hug. Tears start to well up and I said, "Ugh, I don't know why I feel so sad right now." She hugged me tighter and I did the same. We broke our hug and both saw how much of a crying mess we were. She brushed away the tears on my cheeks as I held on to her arms, "You are one of the strongest women I know. I hope you can take care of yourself, and forgive yourself."

Those words make me cry harder as I hugged her again. She laughs while soothingly patting my hair and I said, "Why are you leaving me already?"

She chuckled as she swayed us slightly, "I will miss you, Nova."

...

The next day...

I stood by the refrigerator, drinking a glass of water from the filter, as my mom walked in to the kitchen. I giggled as I watched a video on my phone as my mom says to me, "Nova, get dressed. We're having brunch with the Aira family." I turned immediately and set my glass on the table, "Hello to you mom."

She narrowed her eyes, "Please save the antics Nova." I shrugged, "Are we going to talk about what happened that night?"

"What is there to talk about? That was a week ago."

Mom seemed unfazed by it. I sighed, "We haven't seen each other so, I want to say sorry. I shouldn't have reacted that way." She only nods stiffly at me and she says, "Get dressed." She began to walk away but I stop her, "Why am I going with you? I haven't seen Auntie Nai in years, you've never forced me to come with you."

Mom adjusts the sleeves to her blazer and her expression remain the same, it's hard to psychoanalyze a neurosurgeon, "Just get changed please, and wear something presentable." She leaves me in the kitchen, dumbfounded, with her black Valentino clutch in hand, and puts on her black square sunglasses to walk out the door. I scoffed at the door as I thought, at least she said please.

I combed my hair with my fingers, getting stuck on the knots. Presentable? I never went to their house again because of what happened with Ren. Mom never forced me because she didn't care much about me anyway. Why is she telling me to come with her now? Releasing a big sigh, I walk dreadfully into my room. I decided to wear a cropped lace top and dark, ripped denim jeans, with black converse for shoes. My makeup was natural today, only covering up my acne and blemishes, a little mascara too. I put on my moon necklace, Mira's bracelet, and open my drawer to find ChapStick. Inside, I see Ren's handkerchief that Auntie Cel washed for me. I should give it to him today. I put it in my crossbody black bag and walked out of the door saying goodbye to Auntie Cel.

I approached my mom's car and sat in the back seats. Mom turned around in the front passenger seat and eyed me up and down, "Why are you wearing sneakers and jeans to the brunch, I told you to wear something presentable."

I motioned to my top, "This is presentable. Mom it's brunch I don't think that Auntie Nai will have a problem with my mid-section showing." She huffs in annoyance and takes her blazer off and hands it to me. "Wear it, and don't complain." She goes back to typing something on her tablet as I sulkily put the black oversized blazer on. Uncle Ken says to break the tension in the car, "Are you ladies ready to go?"

I pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yes sir." Mom only nods and Uncle Ken drives out from the gates.

It was a beautiful day outside, the birds are chirping happily, the clouds are showing over the pollution, and the sun shining but, my stomach feeling sick with anticipation.