PROLOGUE

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Sharp Practice by Sierra B 

PROLOGUE 

She checked her watch and bit her lip; it was a quarter to twelve, time to go. She slipped from under the covers fully dressed and grabbed the book bag she packed earlier that day filled with the bare necessities. She crept across the room to the window facing the backyard being as quiet as she could. Lifting the window she tossed her bag into the bushes a flight down silently thanking Buddha that her father was a deep sleeper when the branches cracked. She laid the note it took her two hours to write on the bed; scrawled in green pen were the words: I couldn’t let you hurt him.

She took one last look at the room she knew her entire life taking in the walls she had just had painted the summer before with framed pictures of the friends and family she had to leave behind. She looked at the sharpie marks marking her coming of age on the door frames, the posters hanging on her wall, the random trinkets she was given throughout the years, every possession she owned that made her, her. She sighed and looked at the watch her mother gave her before she died again, the only personal possession she’d take with her. She had to go, she couldn’t stop to reminisce, and she couldn’t give herself a chance to back out.

She swung her legs out of the open window and jumped out, kicking against the house to push her away from the bushes landing hard on the grass. She winced at the sharp pain in her ankle but ignored it; snatching up her bag she scaled her picked fence and ran. He told her to meet him where they first met; at the park down the street from her house.

The memory of when they met crossed her mind.

She had been sitting alone on the swings at Lions Park watching her group's kids play, some already coming into their powers.  It was on the secluded side of the park with the old play area that no one really used anymore, so she had no worry of normal kids or parents spotting something 'supernatural' and doing something stupid.

One of the girls, Yuli, was sitting by herself, tossing a rock into the air when it stopped coming back down. She started screaming and whining, accusing Forrest, the only one with telekinetic powers, of keeping her in the air. Forrest had sworn up and down that it hadn't been him and a brief check into his head had proved that.

After settling the dispute and sending the kids of their way she walked over to the tree he had been hiding behind. "You can't find anything better to do with your life than pranking little kids?" she grunted at him.

He stepped out from behind the tree smirking, green eyes smiling with mischief. "It helps me to meet hot babysitters."

"What would you have done if we were normal?"

“But you aren’t,” he smiled down at her.

“And how did you know that?”

"Well aside from the boy running through trees and the girl levitating off the jungle gym being a dead giveaway, I've been watching you."

She scoffed crossing her arms over her chest. “Yeah, right.”

“Fine, don’t believe me then,” he shrugged turning to leave. “See you later Ianna.”

She scoffed again causing him to turn back around, “Is that supposed to convince me? All of these stinking rug rats have called my name at least fifteen times each since we got here. I’m sure you’ve heard them.”

He smirked leaning against the bark. “Valid point, but how do you explain me knowing that you sneak out here in the middle of the night and you sit on the swings and cry?”

She gaped; she hadn’t expected him to know that, she didn’t think anyone knew about that. Then in dawned on her, he really had been watching her. Her eyebrows furrowed in frustration as she realized that he’d been watching her and she hadn’t been strong enough to notice.

She grabbed him by the neck and pinned him against the tree. "Who are you and what do you want?" she'd growled. "No point in lying, I'll know the truth whether you want me to or not."

He smiled. "You're feisty and stronger than I thought."

Her grip had tightened on his throat, "Tell me or I’ll take you to someone who'll really hurt you."

"Like who? Your father?” he laughed as she stared at him dubiously. “Why would me lying matter if you can read my mind anyway?” he continued. “Is it because every time you do get the worst skull piercing migraine known to man?"

Her face went pale at that one; he knew her about her weakness, the same one that kept her from advancing ranks and kept her on care duty. "What do you want?" she breathed after she backed away warily.

"To take you out on a date," he said as he stepped closer to her.

She took another step back, staring up at him. "Why should I?"

"Because I won't make you hurt yourself for my own selfish goals," he smiled at her, touching her arm gingerly. "I can make you feel normal."

She had had nothing to say after that, except, "Who are you?"

He smirked at her, "Call me Quentan."

She smiled to herself as she made it to the park, slowing down as she approached the tree. A million thoughts racing through her head, making her question whether or not she made the right choice by going with him. Her thoughts were hushed when she saw a familiar looking silhouette leaning against the tree, green eyes visible in the shadows. She rushed over to him practically jumping into his arms, relieved that he was there and that he hadn't left her like part of her feared he would've.

"I made it," she said pulling back to look into his eyes.

His green met her hazel and he smiled, tucking her auburn hair behind her ear. "You wouldn't be here if you didn't," he teased.

"Quentan I'm scared," she frowned.

He sighed, "I am too but don't worry, we'll make it."

"Make it where? Where will we go? What if he finds us?"

Quentan shushed her. "Don't worry Ianna. We'll go as far as we can, change our names if we have to, he will never find us."

"Promise?" Ianna asked uncertainly.

"Promise." He smiled at her, cupping her cheek. "We can finally be together, Ianna… as soul mates."

"Soul mates," she breathed before he kissed her and they started to glow.