Chapter 14: Flor

At close to seven pm, the hall still has students milling around, sitting on the floor against the wall, and watching Linda stagger with one shoe on

"Wait," she says.

I stop, as she removes the second shoe, goes up and down on her toes, and resumes walking.

"You plan to walk barefoot to my car?"

"Do I have a choice? Unless you have a flying car, I don't think you can come and pick me up right here."

Smartass. "What size shoe do you wear?" Why am I even considering lending her my shoes?

"Nine."

"Mine is twelve. Men's twelve. You'll swim in them."

Linda glances down at my feet, and a spark of deviousness replaces the frustration I saw in them a moment ago. "Is the whole . . . size correlation true?" He gaze moves to my crotch and back to my shoes, not slowing her stride.

"Are you asking in general or in particular?"

"Both?"

I should not be feeling heat gathering at the base of my spine at this line of questioning. "You're a librarian. I'm sure there's been research done on the former, and you won't get to find out the latter."

"Don't guys love bragging about their penis size?" She gives me a badly-acted deep-in-thought look. "The logical conclusion is that you're not as good in that department as you are"—she swivels her eyes up-and-down my torso and lands on my face—"with words."

A chuckle bursts out of me, but I'm fast enough to cover it up with a cough. "Someone sounds jealous."

The light from the conversation about the shoe-sizes dims. She hugs her stilettos to her chest. "How far is your damn car?" This arrogant version of Linda isn't my favorite, but it's much easier not to forget myself around it.

We make it to my Porsche in record time. I take the parking ticket from under the windshield wiper, stuff it into my pocket, click the locks on the doors, and jerk the driver's door open. Linda stands by the passenger side.