Twenty Nine || How Can I Trust You?

Start from the beginning

Grayson nudges me, "So what you're saying is that you enjoyed it?" He asks.

Sometimes I wish I had a best friend who didn't care so much.

"Why do you care so much?" I ask.

He runs his hand through his dark brown hair. "I just want the best for you".

I lean back in my seat, "You're such a woman sometimes" I mumble.

He elbows me in the side. "I am not!".

I laugh at the fact that he knows this is true.

"VENA!" I hear James tell for me from upstairs.

I set my plate on the table and jog up the stairs.

I open the door to our room. I shut the door and see James sitting on the edge of the bed. He was bent over with his head in his hands.

This had to do with that thing that he refuses to tell me.

I walk over to him and sit behind him on my knees. I place my hands on his back and rub up and down.

He lifts his head and looks back at me, "What are you doing Vena?" He furrows his eyebrows, showing how bloodshot his eyes were from crying. That made me feel bad for him.

I shrug, "You called me and I am assuming that it is because you want me to make you feel better" I move my hands down to his sides.

He gives a small smile, but then it turns back into a frown.

He turns and grabs my hips and lifts me into his lap like I weighed nothing.

I wrap my legs around him and my arms around his torso.

He leans his forehead against mine and wraps his arms around me.

"I think it's time that I told you the truth about my past" he whispers.

There was a sudden knock on the door.

"Quick lay down. Pretend your sleeping" I rush him.

I unlatch myself from him and lay back down on his chest like I usually do when we sleep together.

The door opens and I close my eyes.

"Should we wake them up?" I hear Leah's voice.

"Nah, just leave them" I hear Grants voice say and the door shuts.

I open my eyes and look at James.

"I'm going to tell you now" he sits up.

I sit up with him lean against the head board.

"Just know that I am here for you, right here" I tell him.

He looks over at me and grabs my hand.

"I should probably tell you this stuff now because things between us seem to be moving" he smiles.

"I once lived in Chicago when I was 10. I was living with my parents and they weren't the best people in the world. They were abusive to Autumn and I. My dad was a leader of a gang and my mother did some unholy things that I don't wish to speak of" he explains.

"I lived like that for so long. It felt like I could never get away from it.
One day when I was at school the teachers assistant came up to me and asked why there was so many bruises on my arm, but I couldn't tell her the truth. I wanted so badly to tell her, but I know that that could kill me, literally" he continues.

I look up at his face and see a tear run down it. I reach and brush it away.

"Anyways, someone called Social Services and my sister and I were taken away. I was sent to New York and my sister was sent to Colorado. My parents were both sent to prison. I am terrified every night that those monsters are going to haunt my dreams, but I know because you are there that they wouldn't dare" He chuckles at his words and kisses the side of my head.