Chapter 16: Waking Reality

Start from the beginning

The moment the door is open a crack, her eyes meet Colin's weary gaze. Maybe she's imagining it, but she swears the bright green glow of his eyes has slightly dimmed. He looks as tired as she feels.

"...Hey, doll," he breathes out softly.

Edith's breathing slightly shudders and she shakily nods. She tries to form words in her mind that she can vocalize, but she finds nothing. Her mind runs blank. But she keeps her gaze on his and her eyes say all he needs to know.

He steps into the room and wraps her in his arms, holding her tightly to his chest and rubbing her back. She returns the embrace, holding him as tightly as possible with how weak her body feels. Her arms feel heavy. Everything is slowed.

"...Well...?" she whispers. She had meant to sound louder but he still heard her and understands the question.

Colin sighs mournfully and shakes his head as he loosens his grip and steps back a bit to look at her face. "...He isn't taking any food I leave... He's not saying anything... I just..." he looks away. "...I don't know what to do."

Edith glances past his shoulder down the hall before meeting his eyes again. "Maybe... I could try? Who knows... maybe the fact that I wasn't there when..." she bites her lip and closes her eyes and Colin pulls her back into his arms.

"If you think you're ready, you can try... But just... be prepared for anything... I've never seen him like this..." he says softly and plants a kiss on the top of her head. Edith nods shakily before stepping out of his arms and taking a deep breath.

She shows him a broken smile. "I'll... do what I can. I just... I need to get out of this room..."

"I understand," Colin says. "I'll be here if you need me... Unless you'd prefer I come with?"

Edith sighs. "No... I think I'd rather try on my own," she murmurs before looking up at him and eyeing the taped wire on his cheek. "...I'm glad you made it out okay." She gives him a tender kiss before exiting into the hall on feeble legs as she begins making her way towards Regan's room.

She went to knock when she reached the door, but before she could she saw that it's already open a crack. Did he leave? The food Colin left outside the door is still there. Maybe he didn't see it?

Carefully, she eases the door open and is thankful it doesn't creak. Her heart beats faster as she realizes the situation she might be walking into but she steps forward anyway. She has to. She'll go insane if she doesn't. Then gazing into the room, she sees him.

Regan just sits at his desk, staring blankly at an empty page with his pen in his hand that has been motionless since he sat down. How long as it been? Minutes? Hours? It could have been days and he would have no way of knowing. It feels like it's been no time at all. Like he's still in the moment. He's still hearing that gunshot shattering inside his skull, ripping him to shreds without laying a finger on him.

Edith slowly steps into the room, her eyes unable to break away from him. She doesn't think he's even noticed her come in yet. He hasn't blinked or moved. He hasn't anything.

"...Regan?"

He may have been startled by her voice by the way he finally blinked and the pen in his hand shook a little, but he clearly lacks the energy to give a real reaction. He slightly moves his head, maybe with the intention of looking at her but instead he just looks down at the desk.

Receiving no response, Edith takes another step into the room and shuts the door behind her, the only sound to follow is the soft click as the door settles into place and she approaches slowly.

"...It's late, Regan... You need rest," she says as softly as possible without her voice coming across as completely silent.

He just shakily swallows back either the dryness of his throat or the tears building, but it's more likely the first. She doubts he has any tears left at this point. He lightly rubs the pen between his thumb and middle finger without looking away from the desk.