Chapter 6: Survivor's Guilt

Cora grumbled something about stupid turtles guilt tripping her as she climbed down from the rafters. Her vision swam for a moment and she leaned against the wall before grabbing her bag and stuffing her computer inside.

She headed off to the farm, noting that none of the turtles were outside training, even though this was the right time of day. She shook it off and climbed up the steps slowly before opening the door.

Everyone turned their heads to look at her and Cora stopped in her tracks. "Why is there a random unconscious lady on the couch chair?"

Leo stood up. "We found a Kraang ship in April's basement. She was in a stasis pod for years. Before they both passed out, April told us it was her mom."

Cora blinked and walked further inside. "Wow. Okay."

"I can't believe she's alive." April said, making tea.

The woman breathed out a soft breath and then opened her eyes slowly. April smiled at her and held out a cup of tea.

"Here you go, Mom." April said.

The lady took it hesitantly, her eyes flickering to the turtles, obviously nervous with them around.

"Thank you, April. I'm still a little shaky." April's mom told her.

"So, do you have any idea how that Kraang ship got down there, Mrs. O'Neil?" Leo asked.

She nodded. "I know this is hard to believe, but the Kraang ship has been here for years. It was your great grandfather who discovered it. He made the mistake of awakening the Kraang. They paid him back by experimenting on him and his entire bloodline. They knew that we were the key to unlocking their precious mutagen. We their guinea pigs."

"Aw! Guinea pigs are so cute!" Mikey cut in.

Raph smacked him upside the head. "I told you not to be stupid, you moron."

"Please continue." Leo smiled to her.

"After you were born, it was clear you were very special. We knew it was just a matter of time before the Kraang came for you. We escaped. Kirby fled with you to the city, but I was recaptured and put into stasis." April's mom explained.

"All these years... I never knew what happened to you. Dad would never tell me." April said.

Both of them got up and held hands. "Well, now you know and we never have to be apart again. Where is Kirby anyway?"

"Kirby? Oh, he got turned-"

Cora smacked Casey upside the head before he could reveal that Kirby was actually a mutated pink Kraang thing.

"He's on a trip." Leo said. "A safari in Puerto Rico. He won't be back for a while."

"I'm just so glad to have my April back." Mrs. O'Neil smiled and the two of them hugged.

Everyone smiled happily, not noticing the suspicious face growing on Mikey.

"Is it me or does April's mom seem a little bit off?" Mikey asked Cora.

"Just you." Cora replied.

"For real though. I got those ninja vibes, yo. I don't trust her." Mikey said.

Cora shrugged, "Well, you've never met a mom before. Maybe that's why."

He frowned. "Nah man. It's something else."

"Why don't we go on a walk?" Mrs. O'Neil suggested, eyeing the turtles. "Just you and me?"

April smiled. "Sure."