Chapter 4: Reasons to Trust

The monster turned to Mikey and grabbed him.

"Let me go, Creep!" Mikey yelled. "I'll bash that mutagen straight outta you!"

Cora's eyes fluttered open, but her awakening went unnoticed by the others, who were busy panicking about Mikey getting un-mutated and turned into a plant.

"Help!" A distant voice cried out.

The plant monster stopped and let go of Mikey, grabbing it's pitchfork and leaving the shack.

"Leo." Donnie whispered worriedly.

Cora's eyes scanned the room and landed on a bag by the table with Leo's medicine. She stood up, surprising the others, and grabbed it.

"Cora!" They called out, but she was already out of the shack.

Cora ran toward the creature, which held Leo's sword in it's hand (if that could be considered a hand). Leo crawled desperately toward his crutch as the monster prepared to stab him.

She pulled out one of the homemade grenades and tossed it. It exploded on the creatures back and Leo rolled out of the way as it stumbled into the place he was at.

"Go get the others!" She ordered, pulling out another as the creature turned it's attention to her.

He gave her a curt nod before limping/running to the shack. Cora threw another explosive, knocking the creature back as she led it through the woods.

Leo ran into the shack and let everyone loose.

"Come on, Cora is distracting it! We've got to go help her!" He told them. "Where is Raph?"

"Long story, let's deal with that later." Donnie said quickly, running out of the shack.

They followed the sounds of explosions toward Cora and the plant monster. Casey and April had grabbed chains from the shack.

Cora backed up further, her eyes widening when she realized that she was out of the grenades.

"Well, crap."

The plant monster charged her again and she lunged to the side desperately, tripping over a root and faceplanting onto the ground. It grabbed her foot and threw her to the side.

"Umf!"

Cora slammed into an unsuspecting Leo and both of them tumbled back. Leo gritted his teeth in pain and rolled off of her, both of them looking up as the plant thing charged them.

Donnie and Mikey attacked, forcing it back toward a tree. April and Casey ran forward, wrapping the chains around it and tying it to a tree.

"That should hold him." Donnie said. "Now come on, we got to get Raph to the lab."

"You really think you can save Raph?" Leo asked, accepting Cora's hand as she helping him limp after the others.

"Honestly, I don't know Leo." Donnie told him worriedly.

▪️◾◼⬛◼◾▪️

Raph ended up being fine.

He was back to his usual self the moment he woke up and once everyone was assured that he was good, they headed off to bed.

Cora found herself camping out on the roof, since her shack was missing a wall now and it would have been creepy to sleep there after what just happened. It didn't make much sense to her why a roof felt safer, but she shrugged it off.

In the morning, Cora climbed in through a window.

"Uh, what are you doing?"